sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2017 2:40 pm  #1

Blundell and Fan590 part ways

Blundell tweeted that he's leaving the morning show earlier today.

February 8, 2017 5:08 pm  #2

Re: Blundell and Fan590 part ways

Greg Brady returns to mornings with Elliott Price and Hugh Burrell.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/02/08/dean-blundell-axed-in-fan-590-morning-show-reboot.html

Last edited by Johnny B (February 8, 2017 5:11 pm)

February 8, 2017 6:52 pm  #3

It's going to be interesting to see if Elliott Price, after all his years in Montreal, will become a 'fan' of the Leafs. Traditionally "The Fan" announcers have cheered for the "home team"

February 8, 2017 9:12 pm  #4

Damian wrote:

It's going to be interesting to see if Elliott Price, after all his years in Montreal, will become a 'fan' of the Leafs. Traditionally "The Fan" announcers have cheered for the "home team"

According to an article in the Montreal Gazette, that won't be a problem.

"As for his sports loyalties, they won’t change. He’s a fan of neither the Canadiens nor the Leafs, and his Expos aren’t coming back soon. “I hate the Bruins,” he said, and that’s something Montreal and Toronto fans can agree on."

Elliott Price lands post with Sportsnet radio in Toronto

February 8, 2017 10:05 pm  #5

Finally some good news. Glad to see Brady back, too.

February 9, 2017 11:57 am  #6

Why they would hire that 'guy' speaks to my 'take' on modern era management.  All they are ... are recyclers.   They know dick and I don't mean Smythe.   So now they have to part company and go their separate ways?  Wait!!!!  One/two... ... ...I'm over it.  Meanwhile....

.....Morning ain't prime time for sports radio anyway.  So who they hire doesn't much matter.  And what THEY 'think' matters even less.  It won't change a g-d'd thing.  It is, in fact, meaningless... ... ...and less.

Last edited by Old Codger (February 9, 2017 11:57 am)

February 9, 2017 12:36 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Morning ain't prime time for sports radio  

Sitting on southbound Hwy 400 for an hour & a 1/2 at 7:00 a.m., there's nothing like the soothing sounds of FM 98 or FM 104.5 to substitute for analysis of last night's game, right, Verger?

Last edited by geo (February 9, 2017 1:15 pm)

February 9, 2017 1:37 pm  #8

Longtime Montreal journalist Mike Cohen has an interesting blog post about how Elliott Price managed to stay in the game despite losing the play-by-play duties of the Expos when the team moved to Washington, and then being downsized by Bell, while making his presence known to Rogers.

And he ends his column with a very provocative suggestion about why he may have been brought into the Toronto market:

"I wonder whether there is another reason why they brought him to Toronto? Jerry Howarth has been the play by play man for Blue Jays baseball for 36 seasons. With all of Elliott’s experience, he is a great man to have on deck if Howarth decides to retire or needs a fill-in."

Total speculation, of course, but stranger things have happened. It will be worth watching to see if he ever fills in on any of the Blue Jay broadcasts in the upcoming season. 

Elliott Price has rebooted his radio career and written a book for others to follow

February 9, 2017 4:58 pm  #9

Who knows when to catch Cam Stewart the Ragin' Redhead, since Toronto 640 shuffled the deck?

February 10, 2017 10:49 am  #10

tc143 wrote:

Same host, different time.  6:30, Friday and Monday. Full value

R.R. would make an excellent spokesperson for High Street fish 'n chips

February 10, 2017 12:12 pm  #11

I think it would be funny if Mr. Blundell got picked up by TSN 1050 to do mornings, up against Mr. Brady.
I know nothing about the no compete clause that might prevent it though...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 10, 2017 1:16 pm  #12

He' likely on a 6 month non-compete. However, he's said on Twitter that he has no interest in another morning radio show.

February 10, 2017 7:49 pm  #13

tc143 wrote:

6:30, Friday and Monday. Full value  

this is entertainment

February 12, 2017 3:43 pm  #14

Kilgore wrote:

tc143 wrote:

Same host, different time.  6:30, Friday and Monday. Full value

R.R. would make an excellent spokesperson for High Street fish 'n chips

That lunch would be a real blast!

Last edited by StevieB (February 12, 2017 3:43 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.