sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2024 7:27 pm  #1

Class Act: Global Lets Former Anchor Alan Carter Say Goodbye On Air

It came at the end of their 6 PM show Thursday, when they threw to a special goodbye video from their just released former anchor, the now-bearded Alan Carter (See pic below.)

Here's what he had to tell viewers:

"Recent changes at Corus have meant the elimination of my current position at Global. And after careful consideration, I've decided that now is the time for something new for me.

I've had incredible experiences working at Global Toronto for the past 25 years. I started my career at Global as a crime reporter, tracking many cases over years to shine a light on some of the most difficult stories in the city. 

You welcomed me into your homes in the early hours of the day for five years, when I was morning show anchor. For two years, I watched from behind the scenes as Managing Editor, helping to shape our entire team's reporting. 

As Queen's Park Bureau Chief, I chased the stories that were important to the province, working to hold three different governments accountable to the public. 

And I proudly hosted Focus Ontario for more than a decade. I've had the privilege of being witness to history, covering everything from championship runs to election campaigns to the global pandemic. 

I have been lucky to host this program (Global News at 6) for the last nine years. And I especially want to say "thank you" to you, the viewers. Anyone who's ever come up to me on the street to say "hi" or sent me a note. Your support and your trust, has meant the world to me. 

So what's next for me? I don't know - might keep this beard! The future is wide open. And that is exhilarating. I know I'll see you again soon. 

Thank you."

It was a classy way to go - no complaints about the people who let him go and in return, a chance to do what rarely if ever happens when someone is turfed without much notice after so many years on the air - give a proper send-off. (Paging Lisa LaFlamme!) 

So congrats to both Carter and the network. It's the kind of thing you don't get to see very often. 

June 27, 2024 8:03 pm  #2

Re: Class Act: Global Lets Former Anchor Alan Carter Say Goodbye On Air

I captured and uploaded it.  Hopefully there won't be any strikes against me.

https://youtu.be/Cw0pnLCoOWc

June 27, 2024 8:05 pm  #3

Here it is on Global's site.

June 28, 2024 7:12 am  #4

1010 needs to offer him afternoon drive. 

June 28, 2024 7:21 am  #5

mic'em wrote:

1010 needs to offer him afternoon drive. 

God knows it's way past time to get a permanent host in there. I don't think I've ever seen a major market station leave such an important position as afternoon drive unfilled for so long.

They could do a lot worse than Carter, but I wonder if he'd be interested. I noticed in his Global on-air goodbye, he never mentioned the show he did for many years at AM640. 

And it wouldn't be the first time. Leslie Roberts went from a scandalous exit as Global anchor to Bell Media's radio airwaves. And Carter brings no such baggage. So it's not without precedent. 

June 28, 2024 7:30 am  #6

I will miss Alan Carter and wish him all the best!  Any station would be lucky to get him but hoping it is one that I listen to. 

June 28, 2024 8:47 am  #7

Good on Global, but I still think they should've kept him around.