sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2024 9:51 pm  #31

Re: Toronto Morning Man Admits He Doesn't Own A Radio

I've never worked in radio. But if I did, the station where I worked would be the last station I would want to listen to in my off time.

I'm retired now but, when I worked, I used to go out of my way to avoid even driving past my workplace during my vacation.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 5, 2024 10:38 pm  #32

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

There really isn't that much difference beyond portability

Portability? 

Hard to take my Smart Speaker out with me to listen to the radio when I'm walking the dog.

There's also the radio apps on your phone that you can listen to with headphones, unless you don't take your phone with you. 

June 5, 2024 10:56 pm  #33

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Portability? 

Hard to take my Smart Speaker out with me to listen to the radio when I'm walking the dog.

There's also the radio apps on your phone that you can listen to with headphones, unless you don't take your phone with you. 

You're right, I could. But seeing as I already have the Sangean that needs no set up, is simple to tune and uses no data, there's no reason to change. Not to mention, I'm an inveterate channel switcher, which is not as easy on a phone. 

June 6, 2024 5:28 am  #34

Try this app on your phone simple radio

https://ca.radio.net/local-stations

June 6, 2024 7:25 am  #35

I have a collection of vintage radios, with the oldest being from the 1920's. All told, I own 21 radios, and 3 vehicles with radios so I suppose 24. It ain't braggin motherf@#@r if you can back it up. ' Kidrock' 

Last edited by mic'em (June 6, 2024 7:26 am)

June 6, 2024 9:31 am  #36

Reading this thread really shows the age of people on this board.

First of all, MOST people at home do not own radios.. they use smart speakers and their mobile.   PPM is sent via streaming the same as over the air, so the station gets credit the same if you listen to a smart speaker OR the radio. Diary markets work very simlar.    The station benefits by this by better sound quality and ease of use.  They also get added data that streaming provides.     AM or FM is only a delivery method.. NOT the station itself.    Car use is very much AM/FM/HD.     People in the older demos on this forum perhaps own radios in their home, but you will find regular people in the world don't.   That ship has sailed.    2024 is here. Like it or not. 

Last edited by radiokid (June 6, 2024 9:33 am)

June 6, 2024 11:22 am  #37

radiokid wrote:

First of all, MOST people at home do not own radios.. they use smart speakers and their mobile.   PPM is sent via streaming the same as over the air, so the station gets credit the same if you listen to a smart speaker OR the radio. Diary markets work very simlar.    The station benefits by this by better sound quality and ease of use.  They also get added data that streaming provides.     AM or FM is only a delivery method.. NOT the station itself.    Car use is very much AM/FM/HD.     People in the older demos on this forum perhaps own radios in their home, but you will find regular people in the world don't.   That ship has sailed.    2024 is here. Like it or not. 

Denture-shattering news.

June 6, 2024 1:45 pm  #38

radiokid wrote:

I own multiple radios both, here at home and in Florida. I don't own a cell phone. Our phone is on the kitchen wall.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.