sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2024 8:42 am  #1

Toronto Morning Man Admits He Doesn't Own A Radio

When CFRB's John Moore was promoting the station's online feed on Wednesday, he admitted something I wasn't expecting.

He doesn't own a radio.

Instead he listens to his station at home on his Smart Speaker.

Yes, the guy who is on the most important shift in the medium doesn't own an actual device to listen to himself on air.

Although I suspect he does have at least one he wasn't thinking about - the radio in his car. 

I suppose it's not that big a deal but I'm not sure if a guy who makes his living on the radio should be admitting he doesn't actually have one.

I wonder how many other announcers/hosts in the city would say the same thing.

June 5, 2024 9:22 am  #2

Re: Toronto Morning Man Admits He Doesn't Own A Radio

Sigh!  I wish Bell would put John on a platform that skews younger, is more relevant, a provides him more exposure.  It’s sad to see him wither away along with AM radio.

I find t only tune into AM radio for a half-newswheel on 680.  If I had another option, I might.  I’m not big on things like Apple or Android Auto, but it’s cool when my lady friend hooks her phone up in her Chevy Spark on you get a world new recap with CBC, BBC and a bunch of others.  Then she puts on Jazz FM.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 5, 2024 10:10 am  #3

I would expect that all radio professionals at least have a basic HAM license. Doesn't seem a high bar to clear. 

I also expect broadcasters to know what they're talking about at any given time. Perhaps I am too demanding.

June 5, 2024 10:49 am  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

I would expect that all radio professionals at least have a basic HAM license. Doesn't seem a high bar to clear.

Lol, what is this, 1958? Did we lose a war? I'm middle aged and HAM radio felt ancient to me in 1985.

HAM radio also struck me as something for hobbyists and anybody I met who was an enthusiast made it clear they weren't professional broadcasters. By your rationale, should all radio professionals also have a proper CB handle?

Last edited by Binson Echorec (June 5, 2024 10:51 am)

June 5, 2024 10:55 am  #5

Binson Echorec wrote:

Lol, what is this, 1958? Did we lose a war? I'm middle aged and HAM radio felt ancient to me in 1985.

HAM radio also struck me as something for hobbyists and anybody I met who was an enthusiast made it clear they weren't professional broadcasters. By your rationale, should all radio professionals also have a proper CB handle?

Functionally it is for hobbyists but there's zero harm in learning and being qualified on how some of the technical (and regulatory) sausage is made.

June 5, 2024 11:15 am  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

Functionally it is for hobbyists but there's zero harm in learning and being qualified on how some of the technical (and regulatory) sausage is made.

Fair enough - but even so, I'd only expect the radio engineers to know anything about HAM radio. I'm willing to bet most hosts/DJs know it exists but that's about it...and that's okay.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (June 5, 2024 11:15 am)

June 5, 2024 11:23 am  #7

Binson Echorec wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Fair enough - but even so, I'd only expect the radio engineers to know anything about HAM radio. I'm willing to bet most hosts/DJs know it exists but that's about it...and that's okay.

The Ontario Science Centre has a Ham radio...look at the age of the volunteer running it! 
https://www.facebook.com/OntarioScienceCentre/photos/a.75194922927/10159631708557928/?type=3&_rdr

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 5, 2024 12:22 pm  #8

MMMMMM   Ham.

June 5, 2024 1:11 pm  #9

This is more common than you'd think. When Seamus O'Regan began on Canada AM it became known that he didn't own a TV. Our Exec Prod immediately sent him to the stores to get one.

As a tech reviewer I dutifully try to include cool items our audience can use to listen/watch our show, but this often earns me the annoyance of hosts who want to avoid any attention as to how they listen or watch (or don't). LEGO just released a vintage 1970's transistor radio you can build that actually works! I'd love to include it in a radio report, but know it'll get me grumbles behind-the-scenes.

Oh & shout out to my Ontario Science Centre friends at their HAM station. They are super fun to hang with. 

June 5, 2024 1:23 pm  #10

It's always surprising to me that the number of users on this board who work in or have worked in radio, always seem to be rooting for the demise of the medium. Like cheer leaders for online streaming.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 5, 2024 1:29 pm  #11

Kris Abel wrote:

LEGO just released a vintage 1970's transistor radio you can build that actually works! I'd love to include it in a radio report, but know it'll get me grumbles behind-the-scenes. 

And here is that radio. It takes a streaming cell phone inserted inside to make it work but it should sound like the real thing. 

Lego Radio

June 5, 2024 2:57 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

When CFRB's John Moore was promoting the station's online feed on Wednesday, he admitted something I wasn't expecting.

He doesn't own a radio.

Yes, the guy who is on the most important shift in the medium doesn't own an actual device to listen to himself on air.

Although I suspect he does have at least one he wasn't thinking about - the radio in his car. 

I suppose it's not that big a deal but I'm not sure if a guy who makes his living on the radio should be admitting he doesn't actually have one.

What’s the difference exactly between listening live to CFRB with a radio and listening live with a smart speaker (other than method of distribution)?. It’s the same exact program going out live to whoever is listening.

June 5, 2024 3:00 pm  #13

turkeytop wrote:

It's always surprising to me that the number of users on this board who work in or have worked in radio, always seem to be rooting for the demise of the medium. Like cheer leaders for online streaming.

I guess I’ve just moved on from radio, and I can see the sun setting for it.  For me, it’s like being able to escape from Sodom, except I CAN look back without turning into a pillar of salt.  It’s such a mess now to behold, with station shutdowns, mass layoffs, and the like.  You want to look away but you just can’t.  And I’m thanking myself for getting the hell out.  You have to wonder just what will happen next.

I still enjoy great audio distribution options like podcasts for example, so when I hear about people spending exorbitant amounts of time listening to 640 and 1010, it just puzzles me   There REALLY is better content elsewhere.  So for me, my view of improving radio is bolstering other options to supplant it.  That’s a perfectly valid viewpoint to express her, and deserves just as much space.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 5, 2024 3:06 pm  #14

ED1 wrote:

What’s the difference exactly between listening live to CFRB with a radio and listening live with a smart speaker (other than method of distribution)?. It’s the same exact program going out live to whoever is listening.

This!

Although, going one step further, if the stream could somehow become independent of the broadcast undertaking, we could have audio not under the purview of the CRTC, and have a lot more open content, and less regulation.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 5, 2024 3:07 pm  #15

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

He doesn't own a radio.

There really isn't that much difference beyond portability. I just found it somewhat ironic that a guy who's made such a lengthy living doing radio for a living doesn't actually have one. 

June 5, 2024 3:10 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

There really isn't that much difference beyond portability. I just found it somewhat ironic that a guy who's made such a lengthy living doing radio for a living doesn't actually have one. 

Yes. I heard Moore's comments this morning as well. If memory serves, I believe he said he used to own a nice "Tivoli" but moved to streaming due to the higher fidelity and convenience.

June 5, 2024 3:28 pm  #17

turkeytop wrote:

I don't know whether it's so much a case of rooting for the demise of traditional radio, but rather, lamenting the rather sad, sorry state it's currently in. Although given the number of good people that have gotten screwed over by radio in the past few decades, I wouldn't blame anybody that's rooting for its demise.

I agree with Jodi. There's so many other options out there providing much better content than terrestrial radio, which used to be vibrant and exciting at one time — those very qualities that enticed many of us to pursue it as a profession. Nowadays, with a few exceptions, most traditional radio stations are like wallpaper: they're just there, blending into the background.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 5, 2024 3:34 pm  #18

Jody Thornton wrote:

ED1 wrote:

This!

Although, going one step further, if the stream could somehow become independent of the broadcast undertaking, we could have audio not under the purview of the CRTC, and have a lot more open content, and less regulation.

They could do it tomorrow, but unfortunately that cuts it off from ratings, which are still essential in bigger markets.

June 5, 2024 3:35 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

There really isn't that much difference beyond portability

Portability?

June 5, 2024 3:49 pm  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

There really isn't that much difference beyond portability

Portability? 

Hard to take my Smart Speaker out with me to listen to the radio when I'm walking the dog.

June 5, 2024 3:53 pm  #21

Airpods?

June 5, 2024 4:10 pm  #22

RadioAaron wrote:

Airpods?

I have a perfectly good (great even) Sangean portable with over-the-ear headphones. Why would I want to spend money on impossibly overpriced Apple products? I know people love the company, but their insistence on proprietary equipment that only works on their systems turned me off of them a long time ago. I don't like gougers in the name of status.

June 5, 2024 4:47 pm  #23

That's great if it's what you prefer. 

I just mean generally, portability isn't an issue for streaming. I'd say easier given that most headphones sold now are bluetooth and cannot be connected to a radio.

June 5, 2024 5:24 pm  #24

Just as well Moore doesn't own a radio.  He'd have to go to 'Jiffy-App' to come over and turn it on for him.  Useless twit.

June 5, 2024 7:29 pm  #25

newsguy1 wrote:

MMMMMM   Ham.

No ham, no fowl.

June 5, 2024 8:24 pm  #26

Walter wrote:

Just as well Moore doesn't own a radio.  He'd have to go to 'Jiffy-App' to come over and turn it on for him.  Useless twit.

I also thought this hearing his shill for the fix-it app. His dog leaves nose-prints on windows that he is unable to tidy up himself? Maybe time to look into the assisted living offers his station pimps.

June 5, 2024 8:29 pm  #27

Chrisphen wrote:

Walter wrote:

I also thought this hearing his shill for the fix-it app. His dog leaves nose-prints on windows that he is unable to tidy up himself? Maybe time to look into the assisted living offers his station pimps.

Those spots are largely written by Jiffy. The money is good.

June 5, 2024 8:43 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

He doesn't own a radio.

It's possible he owns a radio but doesn't know it.   The greater share of smartphones come with an FM radio app that uses wired headphones for the antenna.    For years smartphone manufacturers had the FM radio chip hardwired into their phones but it wasn't activated.   Now they seem to have come around.    No AM, but I use the FM to pick up public address announcers at Mosport which has a local signal at 90.7 that fades quickly once you leave the 900+ acre facility in Clarington.   They also have WiFi and cell towers.

June 5, 2024 8:47 pm  #29

RadioAaron wrote:

Those spots are largely written by Jiffy. The money is good.

Awww. You make him sound like Bill Carrol.

June 5, 2024 9:26 pm  #30

SpinningWheel wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

He doesn't own a radio.

It's possible he owns a radio but doesn't know it.   The greater share of smartphones come with an FM radio app that uses wired headphones for the antenna.    For years smartphone manufacturers had the FM radio chip hardwired into their phones but it wasn't activated.   Now they seem to have come around.    No AM, but I use the FM to pick up public address announcers at Mosport which has a local signal at 90.7 that fades quickly once you leave the 900+ acre facility in Clarington.   They also have WiFi and cell towers.

Yes, but unless it has HD, he still wouldn't be able to listen to his own AM station if FM was the only band it receives! (Unless he streamed it through his phone.)