sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2017 7:26 am  #1

Distinction

Had lunch w. a few up-and-comers in the industry yesterday, where one stated that "a distinctive voice isn't as important as it once was".   Later, I mentioned this to the missus, who responded "so why do you change the TV channel every time a Shelley Alexanian commercial is on?"      

"Too distinctive for my ears" I replied

January 26, 2017 8:00 am  #2

Re: Distinction

LOL   We're with you George!  My wife and I watch Jeopardy, usually PVRed.  I am forbidden to watch the inevitable Alexanian commercial during the breaks but often do so just for fun of it.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 26, 2017 12:11 pm  #3

The reason for using a distinct voice is hopefully done in order to provide the sponsor with instant audience recognition.  I don't know what the percentage is but a BUNCH of people often don't know who the sponsor was in any given 'spot'.  What good does that do?  None.

It's like how many don't know what/who they're watching or listening to.  Ratings get a royal screwing due to the unrecognizability of being situated somewhere within the 'pack'.  THAT can't work for those who use your airwaves to advertise their product or service either.

Hence logos, jingles and voices of distinction. ANYTHING to make sure the message reaches ears and eyes.

January 26, 2017 3:34 pm  #4

geo wrote:

Had lunch w. a few up-and-comers in the industry yesterday, where one stated that "a distinctive voice isn't as important as it once was".   Later, I mentioned this to the missus, who responded "so why do you change the TV channel every time a Shelley Alexanian commercial is on?"      

"Too distinctive for my ears" I replied

I'm with you as well Geo. I can't take Shelley Alexanian's "distinctive" voice.

I am Here, just not all there.