sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2024 1:04 pm  #1

Most Watched News In America

We seem to hear lots about the battles between Fox News, MSNBC and CNN.  Maybe a little known fact is that the evening newscasts at 6:30 on ABC, NBC and CBS have more viewers than anything the cable news networks are putting on.

Here are the ratings for the week of April 1st and we see that ABC's World News Tonight is way ahead of both NBC and CBS.  In fact World News Tonight has the most viewers of any program on the over the air networks and cable channels in the US.  CBS while still doing well at 6:30 is a long way from dominating.  This is a little strange since CBS has been strong in prime time most of last year and so far in 2024.  Ratings and story from TV Newser..https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/week-of-april-1-evening-news-ratings-world-news-tonight-is-top-newscast/ 

April 10, 2024 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Most Watched News In America

CBS was once the gold standard for TV news. Those days ended with Cronkite and Rather and now they're perpetually in last place among the Big 3. 

I don't dispute ABC's lead, but I also don't understand it. David Muir, to me, is probably the most egotistical self-important anchor I've ever seen on TV. I vastly prefer NBC Nightly News, and it drives me crazy when it's constantly interrupted or delayed by the inevitable sports overruns on weekends. (Most recently, golf is the culprit.)

But Muir's popularity baffles me. If you watch his throw to the lead story every night, it generally goes on and on and on, giving half the details of the yarn before they get to the correspondent who's actually on the scene, no doubt at great expense to the network. 

I often find myself yelling at the TV, "why don't you let your reporter tell us that?" as Muir prattles on endlessly giving away most of the story. I have read that he's difficult to work with, which I thoroughly believe. 

And then there's the writing. While they all go too far with the phony "Breaking News" term, often on stuff that's 24 hours old, Muir is overly dramatic. "The pictures just in," or "what authorities have just told us." Anyone who's done TV news knows it's almost impossible to run raw footage on the air without editing or vetting it, because you're never sure if it's going to show graphic footage that should not be seen. Yet he persists with the "this just in" shtick, when I know damn well it isn't. 

The other thing that tests my patience with ABC's World News Tonight is the never-ending teasers. They go on for at least 2 1/2 minutes, which is way too long. NBC, which also does teasers at the top of its show, is already halfway through its lede while ABC is still telling you what's coming. Why are they so damn long?

Finally, once they get through the first block or pack - about 13 commercial-free minutes long  - they throw to two minute breaks, come back with a piece of copy over some viz, then immediately throw to another spot break. The show ends with roughly 3 or 4 minutes of content in the final 15.

So, yes, I'm astounded Muir is still at the top. I find his newscast - and him in particular - especially unlikeable and unwatchable. But obviously the majority of viewers don't feel that way. 

April 10, 2024 1:58 pm  #3

All 3 national newscasts are also available live or on demand on their respective streaming platforms. How many more viewers are watching these shows on those platforms?

April 10, 2024 2:10 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

CBS was once the gold standard for TV news. Those days ended with Cronkite and Rather and now they're perpetually in last place among the Big 3. 

I don't dispute ABC's lead, but I also don't understand it. David Muir, to me, is probably the most egotistical self-important anchor I've ever seen on TV. I vastly prefer NBC Nightly News, and it drives me crazy when it's constantly interrupted or delayed by the inevitable sports overruns on weekends. (Most recently, golf is the culprit.)

But Muir's popularity baffles me. If you watch his throw to the lead story every night, it generally goes on and on and on, giving half the details of the yarn before they get to the correspondent who's actually on the scene, no doubt at great expense to the network. 

I often find myself yelling at the TV, "why don't you let your reporter tell us that?" as Muir prattles on endlessly giving away most of the story. I have read that he's difficult to work with, which I thoroughly believe. 

And then there's the writing. While they all go too far with the phony "Breaking News" term, often on stuff that's 24 hours old, Muir is overly dramatic. "The pictures just in," or "what authorities have just told us." Anyone who's done TV news knows it's almost impossible to run raw footage on the air without editing or vetting it, because you're never sure if it's going to show graphic footage that should not be seen. Yet he persists with the "this just in" shtick, when I know damn well it isn't. 

The other thing that tests my patience with ABC's World News Tonight is the never-ending teasers. They go on for at least 2 1/2 minutes, which is way too long. NBC, which also does teasers at the top of its show, is already halfway through its lede while ABC is still telling you what's coming. Why are they so damn long?

Finally, once they get through the first block or pack - about 13 commercial-free minutes long  - they throw to two minute breaks, come back with a piece of copy over some viz, then immediately throw to another spot break. The show ends with roughly 3 or 4 minutes of content in the final 15.

So, yes, I'm astounded Muir is still at the top. I find his newscast - and him in particular - especially unlikeable and unwatchable. But obviously the majority of viewers don't feel that way. 

I’m with you when it comes to the differences between NBC and ABC. Lester Holt has a much more likeable presence on air. And I also noticed that CBS really cut down on the length of their headline sequence. They’re into their top story way before NBC and ABC.

April 10, 2024 8:27 pm  #5

Interesting mention of these newscasts being at 6:30 - that’s indeed when they’re seen on the stations carried in most of Southern Ontario (Buffalo and Detroit affiliates). This schedule isn’t uniform across the US and the newscasts don’t even directly compete with each other in the same time slots in some markets.

I rarely watch the US network newscasts but I have sometimes while travelling. NBC is the best of the three in my opinion. I last watched ABC’s World News Tonight almost a year ago and couldn’t stand all the teasers. There’s also PBS Newshour which I find to be decent and straightforward, if not a little dry compared to even CBC.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 10, 2024 8:30 pm)

April 11, 2024 12:35 am  #6

There are rumours of tension between Muir and George Stephanopoulos over who is the top anchor when news breaks, especially in the early afternoon.

I also find ABC’s newscast a little too dark to be visually appealing.