sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2024 10:22 am  #1

Meet The Father & Son Who Are Single Handedly Saving The Cassette

They started making the shelled tapes just before the Walkman and despite the advent of the CD and digital streaming, this family company in Kansas City is still making the tape we all used in a distant galaxy far, far way. And the demand for their product remains surprisingly high, perhaps because everything old is new again. 

Proudly analog, a Missouri family business keeps cassette tapes alive for new generations

April 11, 2024 7:04 am  #2

Re: Meet The Father & Son Who Are Single Handedly Saving The Cassette

Interesting read, thanks for sharing RA. I still have a case of Maxell C90s just waiting to be recorded on!

April 11, 2024 7:16 am  #3

So do I! I bought them a long time ago and never quite got around to using them. 

April 11, 2024 11:10 am  #4

Great story. I have a soft spot for cassettes.

From the 70's through the 90's some incredible cassette decks were manufactured by several companies. Unfortunately well made cassette decks are no longer in production. Apparently only one company makes a basic tape transport unit and it is not very good in terms of wow / flutter and fidelity. Almost every used cassette deck will need new belts which can be difficult to source and install. Other rubber type parts like the capstan roller can be difficult to replace. There are clutches in the take up reels that wear out. These are relatively complex mechanisms especially ones with auto reverse. Many techs won't work on them.