sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2024 4:27 pm  #1

Got Any Old Reel-To-Reel Tapes That Won't Play? There's Still Hope

I'm not sure how much this would cost, but I hope they do a consumer version! I have a ton of fragile 3 3/4 tapes from childhood featuring long departed family members that I would love to hear again! Plus, I love those old steady Studers!

A physicist uses X-rays to rescue old music recordings

April 9, 2024 8:09 am  #2

Re: Got Any Old Reel-To-Reel Tapes That Won't Play? There's Still Hope

Interesting read, thanks for sharing RA!

April 9, 2024 8:24 am  #3

Re: Got Any Old Reel-To-Reel Tapes That Won't Play? There's Still Hope

Glad you enjoyed it. I suspect there are a number seasoned veterans here who have a ton of stuff on reels and have nothing to play them on. I'm lucky - I have a TEAC I bought a long time ago. It still works - sort of - but I've been able to digitize almost all of my old radio work and other things I taped years ago. 

Not everyone is so lucky. 

The other problem is the longer you leave those tapes in a non-digital format, the more the tapes degrade and it just gets worse. 

Not to mention, it can take forever to dub everything, because it all has to be done in real (reel?) time. So it's tough to find the needed hours to do it, even if you have access to a machine. (I only did mine because I was housebound recovering from surgery and had extra idle hours on my hands. Otherwise, I'm not sure it would be done even now.)

I'm guessing there are hidden gems out there that might even surprise their owners (too many of us didn't label the boxes!) I can only wonder what's being lost. And that's a shame.