sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2024 3:38 pm  #1

Many T.O./Buffalo TV Stations Opt For Eclipse Coverage, But Not All

This is based on watching Over The Air. 

Many of the local TV stations went live, some for hours, tracking the progress, with special programming. WGRZ, WKBW and WIVB all did local and live specials. I thought it was interesting that 'KB went with its Buffalo coverage on Channel 7.1, while throwing the ABC network special over to 7.2. None of the other major Buffalo affiliates did that for their network coverage. 

CBC had correspondents along the line of totality, simulcasting its all news network on its over-the-air signal on Channel 5. 

And as noted here, even CHCH had live programming. 

But not CTV Toronto's Channel 9, which really surprised me. I know they have CP24 and CTV News Channel to take up the slack, but a rerun episode of Bob Hearts Abishola? That I wasn't expecting. But I guess Bell couldn't figure out a way to charge for the sun, so they just inserted a rerun. I'm just surprised it wasn't The Big Bang Theory, which they seem to show a hundred times a day. 

Meanwhile, City TV was airing an episode of "The Jennifer Hudson Show," which, while featuring a lot of stars, weren't the celestial kind. 

The OMNIs remained with regular programming.  

April 8, 2024 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Many T.O./Buffalo TV Stations Opt For Eclipse Coverage, But Not All

Global also didn’t appear to do anything - either broadcast or streaming - apart from regular reports.

It just feels like a missed opportunity. A large patch of the broadcast area was going to experience a once in a lifetime event and 3 of the Golden Horeshoe’s local TV stations didn’t bother to do anything special - not even a 1 hour show on streaming.

Meanwhile you got WGN from Chicago, a city that was only getting 94% of the eclipse, doing a special program with crews in Chicago, Southern Illinois, and Cleveland. Even NTV in Newfoundland was able to mount a live special.

April 8, 2024 7:43 pm  #3

In my haste to both listen to AM for DX and checking TV channels in the very few minutes this lasted, I somehow missed Global. Thanks for filling in that blank. And I agree they could have done something, especially with so many Global news people on scene. Why they decided not to, like the sky in Toronto at the time of totality, isn't clear. 

April 8, 2024 8:24 pm  #4

I was actually out on my front yard enjoying the eclipse in person.  Nice to meet your neighbours once in a while.  But I was recording CBC and CHCH.

I noticed that CHCH did it right.  Their coverage startted at 3:00 - about 15 minutes before totality.  According to the TV guide, it was supposed to last until 4 but since things were done well before 3:30, they just signed off and went back to regular programming at 3:30.

I'll have to admit I was a bit miffed at first that I wouldn't be able to record my daily fix of Hogan's Heroes today, but according to the TV guide, they'll be continuing on with today's episode tomorrow so no harm done.

Last edited by Peter the K (April 8, 2024 8:25 pm)