sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2024 5:02 pm  #1

Has Monday's Eclipse Been Overplayed On Local Media?

I think the eclipse is a rare act of nature and it's great, but frankly, I have to admit I'm getting a bit tired of all the hype. Every time I turn on the radio or watch a newscast, it's eclipse, eclipse, eclipse and more eclipse. It's gotten so I can't wait for Tuesday!

This is, for many, a once-in-a-lifetime event, so I get the excitement. But nothing tamps down excitement than the endless references to it on everything. I will probably check it out on TV rather try to see anything outside and risk vision damage. (And like others here, I'll have my AM radio handy just to see if anything unusual comes in for the time period while it lasts.) 

The problem? Whatever I'm able to tune in will probably be all about the eclipse itself, so I'll be right back where I started from! Does anyone else feel they've heard enough about this to last them until the next one?

April 7, 2024 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Has Monday's Eclipse Been Overplayed On Local Media?

Y2K

April 7, 2024 6:05 pm  #3

Anything out of the ordinary and many events are often overdone in the media.  Largely because there is so much media now and everyone covers the same thing.  People seem to be excited about this, so I guess it behooves them to give it the amount of coverage it has been is getting.  Just wait for all of the TV morning shows tomorrow. 

Bell Media in Kitchener gave out hundreds of free solar eclipse glasses outside of their new offices and studios earlier today.  A nice gesture and also a little much needed PR for CTV Kitchener and Bell since people are steamed about no local weekend news anymore. 
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/free-solar-eclipse-glasses-giveaway-in-kitchener-draws-hundreds-1.6836973

Last edited by paterson1 (April 7, 2024 6:06 pm)

April 7, 2024 6:15 pm  #4

Like an approaching Snowmagedon the eclipse is being super hyped. Should we be surprised? No. 

CTV London also had 500 pair of eclipse glasses to giveaway and ran out after about 30 minutes but the lineups continued for hours. 
  https://london.ctvnews.ca/a-promotion-giving-away-free-solar-eclipse-glasses-was-a-success-but-not-all-were-happy-1.6836276

April 7, 2024 7:04 pm  #5

CFPL (CTV London) sure has a lot of land and greenery around the studio building and parking lot.  The Blackburn's always had good facilities and nice buildings.  I wonder if the TV building and property will be put up for sale like in Kitchener.  

April 7, 2024 7:27 pm  #6

Much ado about nothing 

April 7, 2024 7:41 pm  #7

A preview of the E-clips

April 7, 2024 7:49 pm  #8

Rogers Channel 100 will have Full Toronto coverage.
Boom 97.3 will have eclipse music. 
This is going to be very exciting.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 7, 2024 7:53 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Rogers Channel 100 will have Full Toronto coverage.
Boom 97.3 will have eclipse music. 
This is going to be very exciting.

Albany, N.Y. Radio Station To Play Entire Dark Side Of The Moon LP As Solar Eclipse Soundtrack

April 7, 2024 8:03 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

CFPL (CTV London) sure has a lot of land and greenery around the studio building and parking lot.  The Blackburn's always had good facilities and nice buildings.  I wonder if the TV building and property will be put up for sale like in Kitchener.  

Unlike Kitchener, CTV London has its tower and transmitter on the studio property, so I would doubt there would be a move off that property unless the tower were to be relocated at some point.

April 7, 2024 8:32 pm  #11

Donald Trump is taking credit for the eclipse... he says, and I quote, "The eclipse... it's the best eclipse in history...It's an omen of my next term in office... I had very smart people cause this eclipse.  No eclipse has ever been planned so well.  Biden doesn't like this eclipse, so sad... if it were up to him there would be no eclipse, he'd stop America from seeing it.  And don't worry about staring up at the eclipse.. just one injection of bleach will cure you, don't listen to Fauci. he hates eclipses.."

Last edited by newsguy1 (April 7, 2024 8:32 pm)

April 7, 2024 8:37 pm  #12

Here's how I look at it, as someone who has seen a total solar eclipse and had his mind blown by it, and as someone who's a working newsperson heavily involved in my station's eclipse coverage:

It's a very big deal for several very good reasons that really make it several stories. The scientific phenomenon of the eclipse is one of them, of course, and I've found it takes a lot of explaining to convey just why it's so rare, so special and so spectacular. A lot of people have seen partial solar eclipses, decided they're not that exciting (true!), and don't realize just how different a total eclipse is. 

Safety is another big piece of the story we have to tell. "Don't look at the sun" should be a simple message, but the nature of totality makes it confusing - you do want to look at the sun with your glasses on, except that if you're in totality (not you, Toronto folks!), you MUST take the glasses off during totality or you'll be sitting in complete darkness for over three minutes and you'll miss the whole show. No matter how many explainer stories I've put out there, I find I keep having to repost them because not everyone has gotten the message, even now.

And most of all, a total solar eclipse is a profoundly human story. Between 1979 and 2017 there were no total solar eclipses in Canada or the continental US, and so anyone under 55 or so never had an easy chance to experience one (myself included!) Then 2017 hit and millions of people were either in the path or traveled to it, which in turn piqued a lot of interest in this one. Many of us who tasted the experience once wanted to feel it again, which means a lot of people are on the road right now getting ready for totality. 

Everyone ends up with an eclipse story, and there will be a LOT of them to tell - plus all the stories we have to tell about what happens when hundreds of thousands of people show up and then leave so quickly. We don't get traffic here in Rochester, at least not in any way a driver on the 401 or QEW would recognize. We will have lots of traffic tomorrow, and the preparation for that is a lot of news, too. 

So it's a science story, a safety story and a huge human story of mass travel. We have about 700,000 people here in Monroe County (Rochester) and could add another 500,000 for the day tomorrow. Niagara Falls could get a million across both sides. And that's just one slice of a long stretch of totality from Mexico to the Maritimes that will expose more people to totality than any previous eclipse in history. 

There's a LOT to plan for and a LOT to talk about, and for whatever reason a lot of skepticism and cynicism that seems to surround what should be one of the few truly good news stories out there - a total solar eclipse is provided free to anyone in its path, and there's nothing intrinsically political or divisive about it, or shouldn't be, anyway. 

Anyway, I've wrapped up a six-part series of features for WXXI in which I try to provide as much of my knowledge and experience to our listeners as I can, and I'll be part of our live coverage all day Monday, including traffic coverage in the afternoon. 

It's a tough balance between "there's so much important information we need to convey about this unicorn of an event" and "we're overwhelming you with this information." 

It's a tough balance between "you can really hurt yourself if you don't take safety precautions" and "this is a really amazing thing that is very safe to see when you do take safety precautions," and we don't want to be sensationalistic about any of it.

It's a tough balance between "our community is going to have a ton of extra people here so use some common sense and get some shopping done ahead of time" and "it's time to panic." 

We're trying to get it right. 

And like Y2K, if we get to the end of the day tomorrow and everyone enjoys the spectacle safely and gets home without trouble, it's not because the whole event was a nothing-burger. It's also because a lot of people spent a lot of time learning and planning and fixing potential problems before they could become actual problems. That's another story of the eclipse, too!

April 7, 2024 9:03 pm  #13

I appreciate your comments, Scott, and you're right - there are a lot of news hooks to this and they should all be covered. I think my point was what always happens, whether it be the eclipse or the Super Bowl or a royal wedding. The event itself is a big deal, but after hearing about it endlessly for weeks on end, some of us who appreciate the celestial event and are news veterans just go, "Enough already!"

As I know only too well, the news media can get hold of something they think the public is interested in and then hype it to the point that you just can't stand hearing about it anymore. I'm reaching that point because I consume a lot of media and news, and I haven't heard of anything else for days and days and days. So this is just from someone so immersed in this stuff, that it gets hard to take it anymore. 

That said, I think this is a great event and I wish you well on your coverage. I just want to get it over with at this point and return to hearing about something else when I turn on the radio, watch TV or look at a newspaper, online or otherwise. To paraphrase the old expression, "Hype springs eternal!"

April 7, 2024 9:20 pm  #14

Now THIS is my idea of what a solar eclipse should taste like. Er- I mean, look like!

April 7, 2024 9:43 pm  #15

It will be a memorable occassion.

Last edited by Chrisphen (April 7, 2024 9:44 pm)

April 7, 2024 10:00 pm  #16

It's all just one big coverup.

April 7, 2024 10:09 pm  #17

Considering that there are many TV stations in the US big and small along the path of totality that are doing local live coverage of the eclipse (along with a couple of the national networks), I don't think the Toronto stations (except the CBC) are doing enough. 

EDIT: CHCH has a 30 minute special at 3 PM on Monday for live coverage.

Last edited by ED1 (April 7, 2024 10:20 pm)

April 7, 2024 10:20 pm  #18

ED1 wrote:

Considering that there are many TV stations in the US big and small along the path of totality that are doing local live coverage of the eclipse (along with a couple of the national networks), I don't think the Toronto stations (except the CBC) are doing enough. 

Keep in mind Toronto doesn't get to experience totality. You've got to get to Hamilton and points south for the really big show. It makes sense that CHCH will be all over it, and it makes sense for the CBC, since the path of totality covers eastern Ontario, southern Quebec and out to the Maritimes and Newfoundland. 

For a local Toronto station to get too deep into live coverage, it will be covering something most of its audience won't actually be seeing. (Although there will be a huge traffic impact - the last place on earth I'd want to be Monday afternoon is the QEW heading from Toronto to Hamilton!)

April 7, 2024 11:31 pm  #19

Another side to the eclipse is what could happen (physical crimes like robbery, cyber attacks etc.) during the event while a good portion of the public and media is distracted.

The thieves who pulled off the recent L.A. money heist took advantage of the Easter holiday.

I've read my fair share of murder mysteries and am guilty of having a vivid imagination but I'd be surprised if there aren't at least a handful of incidents.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/07/us-news/heres-why-the-30-million-los-angeles-heist-could-go-unsolved/

Last edited by betaylored (April 7, 2024 11:34 pm)

April 7, 2024 11:39 pm  #20

I just checked the Buffalo Radio Discussions site and there hasn't been one post or comment about tomorrow's eclipse, or about any local coverage.  I find that a little strange since Buffalo is one of the best locations to view this rare event.  Apparently Niagara Falls Ont. today was more like a July Sunday afternoon with thousands more tourists than normal.  Hopefully even if there are some clouds people will still be able to view the event.  But if it is cloudy it will still be like night for a brief time. Hamilton will also have a full eclipse. 

April 7, 2024 11:43 pm  #21

“Bell Media in Kitchener gave out hundreds of free solar eclipse glasses outside of their new offices and studios earlier today.”

“CTV London also had 500 pair of eclipse glasses to giveaway and ran out after about 30 minutes but the lineups continued for hours.”

So there’s your answer. No, it’s not being overplayed. There’s tremendous interest in it, it’s one of there’s rare events that will be witnessed by millions that we know about beforehand and it’s a feel good story.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 7, 2024 11:43 pm)

April 8, 2024 8:22 am  #22

Rogers is going heavy with The Jays home opener...

April 8, 2024 9:07 am  #23

Once the eclipse is finally over, predictions can begin whether we'll have a white Christmas.

Last edited by Walter (April 8, 2024 10:48 am)

April 8, 2024 9:07 am  #24

I understand the significants; but for me it has been way overplayed.  Can't wait until it's over.

April 8, 2024 9:09 am  #25

I don't think it's been overplayed because there won't be another one until 2144 and it's a dramatic phenomena to see.    I'm a little happy for crowds sake that they've played up the idea that you won't see it if it's cloudy when in fact the blackout is more pronounced under cloud cover.    Unlike when it's clear, under clouds you can actually see the shadow approaching and it becomes much darker than if the sky was clear.   Being only interested in the blackout phase, I'm leaving late morning by subway to Union and catching the 11:47 GO Train to West Harbour GO in Hamilton to witness the blackout from a park there.    It's a total trip of about 90 minutes from midtown Toronto with no parking or traffic hassles.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (April 8, 2024 10:14 am)

April 8, 2024 9:43 am  #26

newsguy1 wrote:

Donald Trump is taking credit for the eclipse... he says, and I quote, "The eclipse... it's the best eclipse in history...It's an omen of my next term in office... I had very smart people cause this eclipse.  No eclipse has ever been planned so well.  Biden doesn't like this eclipse, so sad... if it were up to him there would be no eclipse, he'd stop America from seeing it.  And don't worry about staring up at the eclipse.. just one injection of bleach will cure you, don't listen to Fauci. he hates eclipses.."

Newsguy1, you get an A for capturing the tone and language of The Orange That Walks Like A Man. Nicely done.

April 8, 2024 10:13 am  #27

Dial Twister wrote:

Y2K

Y2K wasn't hype.    Just because serious problems were avoided due to extensive preventative program maintenance doesn't mean it was never a problem to begin with.   There was a lot of code rewritten to prevent crashes in the 10 years leading up to 2000 and if it had been ignored, the results have been very bad.      When something is avoided by taking action, it doesn't mean it wasn't a threat in the first place.  So the claim that Y2K was hype is bogus.   

Last edited by SpinningWheel (April 8, 2024 10:16 am)

April 8, 2024 10:26 am  #28

this thread was overplayed..... 

April 8, 2024 3:47 pm  #29

Thankfully, it's over. 

April 8, 2024 3:52 pm  #30

My apologies in advance for inflicting this on anyone who hits play...