sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2024 7:59 am  #1

Is It Really THAT Funny?

I've noticed recently that several major hosts have a bad habit IMO.
They exhibit an obvious "forced" laugh at even the slightest attempt at humour, either by themselves or a guest.
And it's constant.

Vassy does this fairly often. Even when dealing with a life and death topic she (or a guest) can utter a quip & then guffaw at said quip that apparently tickles her funny bone.
Another well known host that does this phony laugh a lot is Jeff Marek from the hockey world. I listen to his podcast often and 5 or 6 times per show he's off in laugh-land. I think it's habitual with him & it certainly stands out. His isn't a comedy program, & there wasn't much said that was funny but it often sounds that way.

But the worst of all is Amanda Galbraith. She fills in for Vassy on Fridays. She is the original chuckle-head.
A dozen times per two hour show she's finding something amusing and emits a  "school girl giggle". 
It's a constant.

It's a negative and means all 3 come across sounding less than serious.
Not good.

Last edited by unclefester (April 4, 2024 8:00 am)

April 4, 2024 8:59 am  #2

Re: Is It Really THAT Funny?

While I don't disagree with you about the fake guffaws, there is one other point to be made about this. If you're hosting a show and someone makes a joke that is painfully unfunny, I suppose you could just let it pass. But it would almost certainly lead to an awkward silence while the bad bon mot just hangs there, leading to a very uncomfortable moment on air. 

Better a quick - if phony- laugh than a long pause that emphasizes it. But yeah, it is an issue. 

By the way, you won't be tortured by Amanda Galbraith's giggling for a while. She was on The Roundtable on Thursday for the last time, noting she was expecting her baby on Friday. She'll be off on mat leave for several months, although there's no word on who will be taking her place on her hour-long Friday panel show. 

April 4, 2024 9:16 am  #3

He may have a background in comedy, but by far the worst offender is the otherwise good John Oakley.  He and his unofficial co-host spend most of the first hour laughing out loud at each other's stand-up shtick.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was actually funny, and didn't sound so forced.

April 4, 2024 9:28 am  #4

I agree. There's been a notable dumbing down of the show, which has not helped it, even though Oakley and his sidekick producer Michael Downey, are both actually quite intelligent. 

It's a shame because the afternoon program used to actually have some news value. I'm not sure whose idea the endless kibbitzing is, but it's an unfortunate choice. Especially when the closest competitor, CFRB's The Rush, has been in endless "guest host" mode for months. You'd think they might want to take advantage of that. But I guess that wouldn't be funny. 

April 4, 2024 1:11 pm  #5

I agree about Amanda Galbraith.  Between the laughs, the hyper-speed talking and the melding of words I have found her to be unlistenable. 

The other person who seems to find glee when reporting serious news is Victoria Matiash.  When she covers the newsbreaks she has the unmistakable sound of someone who has a smile permanently planted on her face. 

April 4, 2024 2:42 pm  #6

I can't listen to Oakley for more than a couple of minutes.  He has a weird affectation whereby he snickers while he speaks, even on a serious subject.  It's like he is a bit embarrassed at his own opinions.  Also he has that annoying habit of saying "aaaah" between words.
And, of course he uses the most elaborate words where simple and directs ones would do.
For instance he'll say, "The constabulary apprehended a perpetrator" instead of "police made an arrest."

April 4, 2024 4:08 pm  #7

Back when Jeff Marek shared a program with Bill Watters on AM640, he would constantly end every interview and segment with the phrase " we gotta hustle ". My son and I used that as a running joke between us for months. Congrats to him on his success , I do miss Watters pontifications at some junctures, but not too much anymore. 

Last edited by mic'em (April 4, 2024 4:08 pm)