sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2017 10:12 pm  #1

Music community reeling from closure of west-end venue Hugh's Room

[Via CBC]Amid ongoing financial issues, Roncesvalles-area live music venue Hugh's Room is closing its doors for the time being — a move some say is "devastating" to the city's music community.The venue has "reached a point of insolvency," owner Richard Carson told CBC Toronto."Hugh's Room has been struggling for many years... and we've always been able to get through the next weekend, but I got through the point on Friday where I thought, I don't know how I'm going to get through the next weekend," he said."I need some time to figure this out."

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 8, 2017 11:29 pm  #2

Re: Music community reeling from closure of west-end venue Hugh's Room

What a shame.  I caught many a  G R E A T  show there...even MC'd a few.  Only 1 downfall to the place.  Lousy to non-existant parking.  The concept will work...if parking is included.  Hugh's Room is unique.  Getting towed away from that empty parking lot right across the road from it isn't ... I would bet.

The grocery store or whoever it is who controls 'it' is/are really,  REALLY  bad ... to the detriment of the community, of all the music lovers who went there, of the musicians who performed there and of the city as a whole.

A campaign to boycott the business responsible might raise some interest...if anyone in the media has ANY balls in 2017.

Last edited by Old Codger (January 8, 2017 11:35 pm)

January 9, 2017 9:47 am  #3

No Pants Sunday brings Frank out year after year

January 9, 2017 10:46 am  #4

A very sad day for Toronto's "live" club scene.  Roots and alternative music had a home here.  Best to Richard.

Last edited by John D (January 9, 2017 10:47 am)

March 10, 2017 6:38 pm  #5

Toronto Star reporting this place will reopen April 19, 2017...
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2017/03/09/hughs-room-to-reopen-april-19.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 10, 2017 11:01 pm  #6

I'm glad...yet afraid that the elephant in the room will continue to be bullish around the formerly formidable fine china.  If that parking situation isn't addressed...history will circle back for another mammoth piss on the concept of doing what they do at that exact location.

Gonna go for it again?  Gotta do it up right.