sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2024 7:25 am  #1

Would You Want To Watch An NHL Game With No Commentary?

Fans in Edmonton got their chance to do just that on Saturday, when CBC Gem, its online video site, presented a version of the Oilers-Avalanche game with no announcers. The entire game audio consisted solely of the sounds from the area, the ref's whistle, the grunts of the players, the crowd, etc. 

But not a second of analysis, commentary or play-by-play. 

Reaction to the quieter broadcast has been mixed, with many saying they appreciated the sounds of silence. 

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, there's a lot of talk during every sporting event. (The Jays telecasts on Sportsnet often seem particularly verbose.) On the other hand, the announce crew can fill in some blanks about what's going on on the field or the ice, with info viewers couldn't possibly know.

No word yet if they plan to repeat this experiment for other games in other markets. 

Would you choose this option if it was available to you? 

"Can we get this as a permanent option?": Fans left intrigued by commentary-free CBC Gem broadcast of Edmonton-Colorado game

March 18, 2024 7:54 am  #2

Re: Would You Want To Watch An NHL Game With No Commentary?

NBC tried this tactic with limited success in 1980, when it used the annoucerless format in a broadcast of a late season NFL game with no playoff implications. 

The announcerless game - what happened and its legacy

March 18, 2024 9:40 am  #3

Re: Would You Want To Watch An NHL Game With No Commentary?

An NFL game I was watching on CBS this past fall had a technical glitch with their audio for about 10 minutes where you couldn't hear the announcers...it even spilled into some of the dialog in the commercials as well. 

At first it felt unusual; kind of strange: just the sounds of the stadium, but I realised don't mind the announcers: When I began watching football years ago, I learned quite a bit about rules, plays and penalties from them.

What would people think about no announcers during baseball?  Golf???

Last edited by Dave The OTA guy (March 18, 2024 9:58 am)