sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2024 2:06 pm  #1

CBC Gets $90 Million Funding Increase Despite Laying Off 800 People

There are now new questions being asked of its president, the beleaguered Catherine Tait, who was already under fire over the question of executive bonuses. 

From The Canadian Press:

Ottawa adds funding to CBC, despite executives' claims it was asked to cut its budget

March 1, 2024 9:12 am  #2

Re: CBC Gets $90 Million Funding Increase Despite Laying Off 800 People

In an organization that big, that’s not really a lot of new money. That’s salary increases for unionized employees and inflation.  That an increase of $1125 per employee over the year.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 1, 2024 9:20 am)

March 1, 2024 11:52 am  #3

If 1125 per employee works out to 90 million dollars then the CBC really is grossly over staffed.

March 1, 2024 1:03 pm  #4

Well, shit. I put the decimal in the wrong place.
It’s $11,250 per employee.
I retract my earlier post. That is way too much money.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 1, 2024 1:03 pm)

March 4, 2024 8:06 am  #5

What do the stars of CBC's current shows think of what's going on at the Corp. with budget cuts and bonuses? Turns out some are angry and others are worried. 

Including Mark Critch, the star of two of the network's more prominent shows, "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" and "Son of a Critch." He wants to see a CBC that worries more about shows for Canadians and less for those down south. 

“I know of execs in the past who’ve really wanted to get a hit in the States and they’d be always talking about it in passing. ‘We’re doing the show because we think it might catch on in the States.’ That’s not your frickin’ job. Your job has nothing to do with America.

“Your job is to make important and good TV for Canadians, comfort them when they need comfort and inform them when they need to be informed.”

A bit ironic, considering his own "Son of a Critch" is currently airing on The CW. But it doesn't mean he's wrong. 

CBC stars on public broadcaster’s future, exec bonuses, spectre of cuts

March 4, 2024 8:28 am  #6

Evan Scrimshaw is a political pundit who uses blunt and forceful language to make his case on a number of issues, particularly when it comes to the "right versus left" confrontations. His take on the CBC and what needs to be done is worth a read.

Instead of trying to be a Canadian NBC, why not have the CBC attempt to be a Canadian HBO