sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2024 6:12 pm  #1

Three Insiders On The State Of Canadian Radio

The great Bill King queried three Canadian radio vets – Ken Stowar from CIUT-FM, Pat Holiday, whose resume is too long to mention and Doug Kirk from Durham Radio – on the current state of the medium in this country.

While there are problems, most agree there is still some life in the old gal yet – if it’s done properly.

“…success with a radio station is the same as 50 years ago," [Holiday] says." If it survives, it'll be the same 50 years down the road. You had better hire great air talent, let them loose, care about the music and product, and do anything that makes people passionately love your station and tell others…

"But a few things are in the way. In Canada, the government has outdated rules. That ship sailed in the '90s with the net coming in. Everywhere else, hedge funds pay stupid multiples (prices) for stations and then squeeze them to death for a return.”

Kirk, whose company bought three of the Bell stations in Ontario, believes serving those specific markets is the key to success.

“Our strategy is to be distinctly local, do as much local programming as possible, and do as much ancillary work, covering and promoting community events. You know, [that can be] as corny as the Santa Claus parade, showing up for everything.”

More here.

February 28, 2024 9:48 pm  #2

Re: Three Insiders On The State Of Canadian Radio

I could not agree more.  I have always believed that local, entertaining and informative.  Throw in good music, not the 300 that everyone else is playing but great tunes.   Thought about this for many years but could never move forward.  I wish great success for this.   And of course the most important of all, no voice tracking.  Be live.  

February 29, 2024 1:28 am  #3

Re: Three Insiders On The State Of Canadian Radio

Local AND entertaining is the key.
Local can be really really dull if your morning show interviews every Tom, Dick and Harry who has an event to promote or if you just list community events non-stop. We’re an entertainment medium too.
Don’t just tell me Ribfest is coming up on whatever dates. Tie it in with a funny story from last year’s event or the time your homemade ribs were a disaster or something like that.
Edit: Today’s Radio Ink has an article about country listeners favouring an engaging personality over local information. The article says that listeners want an escape from the everyday.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 1, 2024 1:10 pm)