sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2024 8:11 pm  #2

Re: New owner sheds light on plans for Niagara radio stations

I think this is good news overall. CKTB, especially, is a unique presence in the Niagara area. It would be a shame if it disappeared. 

My only concern is we've heard this kind of thing before, until the new owners get a look at the books and then plans can change. I well remember the day the rumours began that the Waters family was going to sell City TV. I recall being told by people who were there then that Ron Waters came in and assured staffers that the reports weren't real, there were no plans to sell CHUM and that everyone's job was safe. 

A few months later, the ink was barely dry on the agreement that sold the entire empire to Bell (the CRTC later forced City TV to be spun off to Rogers) before people started losing their gigs. Some had been there over 20 years or more. 

As a result of these kinds of stories I'll believe the "no changes" assurances when they happen - or rather, don't happen. But if they're true to their word, it's a real relief for a lot of employees - and listeners.

February 22, 2024 8:31 pm  #3

It's going to be an interesting watch; we haven't seen "little buys big" before.

My fear is that the values of these properties have dropped so much that the buyers are naive starry-eyed fans that can barely believe that they can actually *buy* HTZ-FM. Radio as an impulse buy at the checkout may not equal a good investment.

Leaving everything "as is" and maybe even adding staff will fail. Only completely re-imagining the business model as MyFM does can work.

February 22, 2024 8:54 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

My only concern is we've heard this kind of thing before, until the new owners get a look at the books and then plans can change. I well remember the day the rumours began that the Waters family was going to sell City TV. I recall being told by people who were there then that Ron Waters came in and assured staffers that the reports weren't real, there were no plans to sell CHUM and that everyone's job was safe. 

A few months later, the ink was barely dry on the agreement that sold the entire empire to Bell (the CRTC later forced City TV to be spun off to Rogers) before people started losing their gigs. Some had been there over 20 years or more. 

There's probably no sentence feared more and believed less in the media industry than "your job is safe."

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 22, 2024 10:06 pm  #5

Been there, heard that! Never once has it been true!

February 22, 2024 10:40 pm  #6

I hope the new owners are aware of what they're in for, because they're going to have a lot of programming to replace. 

Consider:

-CKTB runs Jerry Agar's Show out of CFRB from 10-noon.

-That's followed by Vassy Kapelos from Ottawa during noon-2PM.

-At 7 PM until 11, there's NewsTalk Tonight with Jim Richards and

-From midnight - 5 AM, it's all iHeart Radio repeats, including John Moore and Bill Carroll. 

What do they all have in common? They're all sourced from Bell stations across Ontario and Quebec (Elias Makos), programming that presumably won't be available to the new owners any more.

That's 13 hours of programming a day they'll lose out of a 24-hour period (and that's not counting weekends.) It's not going to be easy to fill all that time without some new hires. Unless they opt for some kind of syndicated stuff overnight. But there are still a lot of holes during the day. And filling it won't be cheap, even in a smaller market. 

It will be really interesting to see how they do it. 

February 22, 2024 10:54 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I hope the new owners are aware of what they're in for, because they're going to have a lot of programming to replace. 

Consider:

-CKTB runs Jerry Agar's Show out of CFRB from 10-noon.

-That's followed by Vassy Kapelos from Ottawa during noon-2PM.

-At 7 PM until 11, there's NewsTalk Tonight with Jim Richards and

-From midnight - 5 AM, it's all iHeart Radio repeats, including John Moore and Bill Carroll. 

What do they all have in common? They're all sourced from Bell stations across Ontario and Quebec (Elias Makos), programming that presumably won't be available to the new owners any more.

That's 13 hours of programming a day they'll lose out of a 24-hour period (and that's not counting weekends.) It's not going to be easy to fill all that time without some new hires. Unless they opt for some kind of syndicated stuff overnight. But there are still a lot of holes during the day. And filling it won't be cheap, even in a smaller market. 

It will be really interesting to see how they do it. 

I wonder if they will shift times of shows during the day. Hire a new voice or two and syndicate most of the overnight and weekend programming. As for HTZ Ashleigh is based out of Calgary now. So that will be a host replaced. Bounce and Move will need more on air staff at times also. I can see them investing in it. But at the same time I think they will look to do something different with one of the stations in a year or two. Try a format change to boost listeners and advertising dollars. Also with a local ownership they might actually do better in the market. People may tune in more again now that the programming will be a bit different.