sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2024 10:51 am  #1

Spence has Competition

When it comes to awful radio advertising, Spence is in a class all by itself, but that inescapable plug for Desjardins Insurance on radio and TV (giant man wanders around town, saving the day) is getting right up there in the annoying department.  Enough, already.

February 21, 2024 11:49 am  #2

Re: Spence has Competition

Giant man only gets bigger each time they raise my rates!!

February 21, 2024 11:53 am  #3

You don't meen to taaale me they're selling FOOOOOH-nee in shooo rance?

February 22, 2024 9:53 am  #4

I don't want to jinx it, but I probably will... I haven't heard any Spence commercials on NT1010 or GNR640 for a few days now.  Maybe they are cooking up a bunch of more awful ones.

February 22, 2024 10:31 am  #5

chrishch wrote:

I don't want to jinx it, but I probably will... I haven't heard any Spence commercials on NT1010 or GNR640 for a few days now.  Maybe they are cooking up a bunch of more awful ones.

No doubt.  It'll be tough to come up with anything worse than the unintelligible 'Fiona', but somehow they'll find a way.

February 23, 2024 9:22 am  #6

They're baaack! I heard my first Spence spot in days on RB on Friday morning. And yes, it was new and yes, Fiona was front and centre. Can't we get her deported for being a nuisance?

February 23, 2024 12:57 pm  #7

Good news, Fiona.  We have tickets for you for a flight back to Scotland.
You've got a seat right by the door on this new 737 Max 9!

February 23, 2024 1:46 pm  #8

Unfortunately, she was booked with Lynx Air for next week, and they're out of business as of midnight Monday.

February 23, 2024 2:40 pm  #9

The Lynx jynx.

March 10, 2024 5:34 pm  #10

All the time when I am in the Toronto Area I listen to Z103.5, 99.9 Virgin Radio or any other Toronto station. I hear the Spence ads and it is getting pretty annoying with that "Wooooo" sound at the end of the ad. Just like the Matress Depot ad from London which they stole the Spongebob Sqaurepants theme song. If I do hear that Spence ad again I will tune to a different station just like Matress Depot in London.

March 10, 2024 5:56 pm  #11

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

All the time when I am in the Toronto Area I listen to Z103.5, 99.9 Virgin Radio or any other Toronto station. I hear the Spence ads and it is getting pretty annoying with that "Wooooo" sound at the end of the ad. Just like the Matress Depot ad from London which they stole the Spongebob Sqaurepants theme song. If I do hear that Spence ad again I will tune to a different station just like Matress Depot in London.

You will definitely hear it again  It recurs like herpes, only worse

March 10, 2024 6:18 pm  #12

And just what universe does Spence think we're living in, where Fiona asks how much a diamond would cost her, and whatsisname says 1999.99, to which she replies,' so than all I have to do is buy the ring to go with it?"
OK, so the ring has to be made of gold or silver, another thousand dollars at least.
Plus I'm sure there is a fee for fitting the ring, say 80 or 90 bucks or so.
Then there must be a fee for mounting the diamond on the ring... a few hundred bucks more.
Then there's all the taxes.
So in the end, let's say that 19 hundred and 99 diamond ends up costing at least four thousand dollars.
And it's not even a wedding or engagement ring, it's just a casual ring Fiona wants to buy on a whim.
For a ring like that I'd scream at the end too... when I got the final bill.

March 10, 2024 6:52 pm  #13

newsguy1 wrote:

And just what universe does Spence think we're living in, where Fiona asks how much a diamond would cost her, and whatsisname says 1999.99, to which she replies,' so than all I have to do is buy the ring to go with it?"
OK, so the ring has to be made of gold or silver, another thousand dollars at least.
Plus I'm sure there is a fee for fitting the ring, say 80 or 90 bucks or so.
Then there must be a fee for mounting the diamond on the ring... a few hundred bucks more.
Then there's all the taxes.
So in the end, let's say that 19 hundred and 99 diamond ends up costing at least four thousand dollars.
And it's not even a wedding or engagement ring, it's just a casual ring Fiona wants to buy on a whim.
For a ring like that I'd scream at the end too... when I got the final bill.

Exactly.  It's a scam, Fiona is fake and unbelievable on any level, and the ads are the worst ever.  Pretty well sums it up, unless anybody has something to add.