sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2016 9:49 am  #1

Was Duff Roman's Brother Ever On Air At CHUM Or CKEY?

Yes, it's a weird question, but sadly, Duff Roman's brother, Dan, passed away earlier this month. His obit lists him as having on air shifts on both CHUM and CKEY in Toronto, as well as other radio stations in both eastern and western Canada. Does anyone remember his appearances here? He was also involved in the Romans' record company, which gave a shot to some early Canuck artists.

I'm sure we all send our condolences to the Mostoway family, but you might think if two brothers were on the same station at the same time, it would have been something a place like CHUM would have publicized.

[Edit: I notice in the condolences section of the site that Doug Thompson mentions briefly working with him when he was on air at CHUM. Was this a fill in or a regular appearance?]

Dan Roman obit

Last edited by RadioActive (December 25, 2016 9:54 am)

December 25, 2016 10:12 am  #2

Re: Was Duff Roman's Brother Ever On Air At CHUM Or CKEY?

Dan Roman was at CHUM briefly in the spring of 1968.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 25, 2016 10:21 am  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

Dan Roman was at CHUM briefly in the spring of 1968.

Wow. I was a frequent listener back then and I have absolutely no memory of him. But I hear he was a pretty good jock. (You'd have to be to make it on CHUM.) Thanks, Dale. 

December 25, 2016 11:34 am  #4

For a time, CHUM had short shifts with Duff Roman from 1-3 p.m. and Bob McAdorey from 5-7 p.m. Can't remember for sure who did 3-5 shift, but it was either Dan Roman or Donnie Burns 
(who wasn't at CHUM very long either). All of them were gone from CHUM by the end of the summer.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 26, 2016 3:22 am)

December 25, 2016 3:16 pm  #5

I remember Danny...around ever so briefly...and if he wasn't on CHUM...that would not be the case.

December 25, 2016 11:43 pm  #6

3 - 5 PM shift was Donnie Burns at CHUM. Dan Roman was at CKEY in 1960 or 1961 for a short time. He went by Danny Roman and was on during the day.

December 26, 2016 9:16 am  #7

Here's a Picture of the CHUM CHART from Feb/12/68 with Donnie Burns. Shift listed as 3 - 5 PM. I have an earlier CHUM CHART from Dec 18, 1967 with Donny ( that's the way the name is spelled earlier) on the cover and the caption reads "CHUM's Christmas gift to you"

PS apologies about the spacing on the two pics below. Not the easiest thing to do with scans. I got around to enlargening the CKFH handout just now as well found on this thread You will note that John Donabie is listed on the second pic there. Did not think he was there that early.

Last edited by Fitz (December 27, 2016 6:48 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 27, 2016 10:59 am  #8

They need spell check for JIMI HENDRIX.

December 27, 2016 11:25 am  #9

Yup the group was somewhat new then but a thorough team of editors was not a priority with such publications. I also realized that my scans will not work on cell phones at least not on the ones I tried. Tried fiddling to fix but no luck. 

Last edited by Fitz (December 27, 2016 6:53 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 27, 2016 4:35 pm  #10

Here's an CKEY lineup with Danny Roman listed:

CKEY (November 1, 1960) (Source: Toronto Globe and Mail)

6-9 a.m. - STU KENNEY
9 a.m.-12 noon - RON DUNN
12 noon-3 p.m. - DANNY ROMAN
3-6 p.m. - MEL MILLER
6-9 p.m. - THE COREY SHOW
9 p.m.-12 midnight - TEMPO TORONTO

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 27, 2016 4:36 pm)

December 27, 2016 8:03 pm  #11

As I recall, Danny Roman (he wasn't Dan yet) was a swing announcer at CHUM.  I'm pretty sure he didn't have a regular shift. But older brother Duff started that same way at CHUM in 1965 as well.  My first weekend board op shift was with Duff that first weekend in February '65.  We had a lot of fun on those weekend shows.