sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2024 1:44 pm  #1

When Is It "Sampling" & When Is It Plagiarism?

This is something I've always wondered about and maybe someone here knows. A few years ago, a trend began in music where an artist (often a rapper) would take a few beats from a big hit record, incorporate it into a brand new tune and then release it as their new single, which would get radio airplay. 

This came up because I just saw that long running TV spot from the Scarborough Health Network Foundation, which features the very recognizable opening riffs from the Guess Who's classic "These Eyes," mixed during the commercial with lyrics from someone else. I'm guessing the songwriters gave permission for use in the campaign for charity, and it's definitely ear-catching to hear both. 

But what about artists who regularly do this on their own songs, and call it "sampling?" Isn't that the same thing as theft? Do they need permission from the originator to allow this or is there some sort of weird "fair use provision" at play that lets them essentially take whatever they want as long as they don't use too much of it?

I've always thought of it as stealing and I've never understood exactly why it's seen as being OK. If George Harrison can be guilty of unconsciously swiping "He's So Fine" on "My Sweet Lord," then how do they excuse this, which is far more blatant? Are the other artists compensated for their work?  What are the laws about sampling and when does it become an outright theft of someone's material?

February 19, 2024 1:56 pm  #2

Re: When Is It "Sampling" & When Is It Plagiarism?

It's sampling if you have the best lawyer and plagiarism if you don't. Just kidding. I think.

February 19, 2024 3:02 pm  #3

The song in the SHN spot is Maestro Fresh Wes' "Stick to your Vision" from the late '90s.

Yes, Maestro used a sample of "These Eyes" in his tune.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 19, 2024 3:04 pm)

February 19, 2024 3:23 pm  #4

I've always found this topic interesting. In Wikipedia "Sampling (music)" article, there's a "Legal and Ethical Issues" section. I've read over the years that now, labels are typically extremely careful and diligent in paying the necessary clearances before an album (or single) is released to avoid later problems, but it was much more the "Wild West" in the early days of sampling in the 80s into the 90s.

The Information Society's late-80s song "Pure Energy" sampled not music, but some "Star Trek" TV episode dialogue and there wasn't the infrastructure for this type of clearance at the time.

February 19, 2024 4:03 pm  #5

Here's another weird one. The song "Uma Thurman" from Fall Out Boy uses the Theme From The Munsters extensively in the song. I wonder what the clearance was like for that one. What a weird tune.

February 19, 2024 10:14 pm  #6

Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings each received songwriting credits for the sampling on Stick to Your Vision. 
On the same Maestro Fresh Wes album it was from, Built to Last, Chuck Mangione also got songwriting credits on two songs for sampling.

February 19, 2024 11:34 pm  #7

The Rolling Stones sued the British group "The Verve" for using a longer duration of notes from an earlier Rolling Stones release for the 60s on The Verve's 1999 hit "Bittersweet Symphony"

The Verve had previously requested and were given permission to use a small portion of the Stones track, but the Rolling Stones then sued when The Verve exceeded the duration of the previously requested music.

It was kind of bizarre as the rights were passed to both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards who then dropped the suit brought against The Verve....