sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 3:35 pm  #1

Super Bowl Celebrations Are Over/Global Paramount To Lay Off 800

Two days after CBS/Paramount+/Nicklodeon had the largest audience ever for a television broadcast, parent company Global Paramount plans to lay off 800.  Details from Deadline.https://deadline.com/2024/02/paramount-global-layoffs-begin-ceo-bob-bakish-1235824028/.

February 13, 2024 4:18 pm  #2

Re: Super Bowl Celebrations Are Over/Global Paramount To Lay Off 800

A page from The Mirko Bibic Playbook?

February 13, 2024 6:51 pm  #3

Not only the largest audience ever but the largest ad revenue.  Estimated that CBS took in $695 million in advertising revenue for Super Bowl 2024. With all of this, Paramount Global announces today layoffs for it's US workforce.  The revenue total includes an estimated $60 million in bonus revenue since the game went into 15 minutes of overtime. This allowed CBS to run 10 additional commercials....   More from Sportico..https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2024/cbs-hits-overtime-jackpot-695-million-dollars-super-bowl-ads-1234766475/

February 14, 2024 12:38 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Estimated that CBS took in $695 million in advertising revenue for Super Bowl 2024. With all of this, Paramount Global announces today layoffs for it's US workforce.

I'm not CBS, & I'm not saying this is the case, but if I were CBS I would do the same thing. Not for profit, but instead to help make the spending pocket deeper, perhaps in effort to buy out at least one competing streaming source out there and try to make it one... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 14, 2024 12:41 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2024 9:42 am  #5

Paramount Global the owner of CBS seems to be on the market right now.  And they will need whatever profits that the Super Bowl generated.  Last quarter the company lost $238 million. One interested buyer is Byron Allen who has offered $30 billion for the whole company which includes CBS, streaming services, film studio and debt of almost $17 billion.