sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2016 9:18 pm  #1

What Was The First TV Show To Regularly Use Videotape?

I'm a huge fan of TV history and there's always something new to learn. And I did, after reading this remarkable AP article about the 60th anniversary of the original use of videotape in the industry. Outside of the news, the very first regularly scheduled daily show to use this then-new technology was hosted by a man who would occupy a spot on the medium for the next 50 years. 

It's hard to believe there was a time that videotape was considered an unproven experiment that, in the words of one unfortunate ABC executive, would never "revolutionize the TV industry." Boy, was he wrong. Don't believe it? Let's go to the videotape... 

The first show to use videotape

December 21, 2016 9:04 am  #2

Re: What Was The First TV Show To Regularly Use Videotape?

It's not the first regularly scheduled show, but rather a special to promote Ford's new car "The Edsel".
In this show they kinescoped as well as videotaped the program, running the kinescope at the same time in case the videotape failed.
This video compares both methods side by side:EDSEL SHOW 1957 with BING CROSBY =kinescope first video tape

December 21, 2016 10:03 pm  #3

I'm a HUGE fan of technology and media history too.

I frequent the following sites to get my fix:

www.fadedsignals.com

http://americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

Prepare to be unproductive at work for the next couple of days...

Davester.

December 21, 2016 11:22 pm  #4

What is the equivalent website for Canadian broadcast history?  Other than the horrid http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/
Serious question.

December 22, 2016 10:17 am  #5

Thanks for all those links. I was familiar with some of them but not all. Here's one of my all time favourites. Speaking of time wasting, the only real question about this site is what to look at first.

TV Party