sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2024 8:07 am  #1

Which Local Radio Station Has The Super Bowl?

Haven't seen much about Super Bowl on the radio here and while most will watch it at home on TV, if you're on the road and interested, you can catch coverage beginning at 5 PM on TSN 1050. Not a surprise that TSN got it over Sportsnet, since CTV has the rights in Canada and they own The Sports Network. It will also be on SiriusXM if you subscribe to that service. 

The game is being presented by Westwood One, which has the radio rights. As for the voices you'll hear:

"Kevin Harlan will handle the play-by-play duties for the Super Bowl for the 14th straight year, with Super Bowl XXXIV MVP and Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner returning for the sixth consecutive year as the lead analyst. Former NFL VP of Officiating and current rules analyst Dean Blandino will join the radio broadcast booth for this year’s Super Bowl. Laura Okmin and former defensive lineman Mike Golic will patrol the sidelines."

I'm not a fan, as most here know, but I can't imagine listening to such a spectacle could be anywhere near as satisfying as watching it on the big screen, along with all those infamous million-dollar commercials. I have never heard of huge budget spots on the radio version. 

February 11, 2024 11:54 am  #2

Re: Which Local Radio Station Has The Super Bowl?

Hey RA!  Reba is going to sing the National Anthem.  Woo-Hoo!

February 11, 2024 5:21 pm  #3

Here's an interesting sidebar. AM640 morning man Greg Brady used to be the play-by-play voice of the Super Bowl for the BBC from 2007 to 2017. But even though it's been years since he's done the job, he's still at it in a different way, including this Sunday's game. 

Brady told Roy Green on his weekend show that the NFL essentially gouges the BBC for a box at the game, so the British broadcaster is taking the same Westwood One feed that will be on TSN 1050. But at some point (likely the spot breaks, since the BBC is commerical free) Brady and a few ex-NFLers will be doing commentary on the U.K. network, so his voice will still be heard on the Beeb, even though he's at home in Whitby. 

Watching the game on TV and getting paid for it. How many people can make that claim?

February 11, 2024 8:30 pm  #4

TSN 1050

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 12, 2024 11:03 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Haven't seen much about Super Bowl on the radio here and while most will watch it at home on TV, if you're on the road and interested, you can catch coverage beginning at 5 PM on TSN 1050. Not a surprise that TSN got it over Sportsnet, since CTV has the rights in Canada and they own The Sports Network. It will also be on SiriusXM if you subscribe to that service. 

The game is being presented by Westwood One, which has the radio rights. As for the voices you'll hear:

"Kevin Harlan will handle the play-by-play duties for the Super Bowl for the 14th straight year, with Super Bowl XXXIV MVP and Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner returning for the sixth consecutive year as the lead analyst. Former NFL VP of Officiating and current rules analyst Dean Blandino will join the radio broadcast booth for this year’s Super Bowl. Laura Okmin and former defensive lineman Mike Golic will patrol the sidelines."

I'm not a fan, as most here know, but I can't imagine listening to such a spectacle could be anywhere near as satisfying as watching it on the big screen, along with all those infamous million-dollar commercials. I have never heard of huge budget spots on the radio version. 

Kevin Harlan is a character.  He makes not being able to watch the game on TV hurt a little less.