sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2024 6:47 pm  #1

Are There No More "Topics Worthy Of Discussion?"

Apparently not. The long running final segment of the Oakley Show on AM640 appears to be done. It didn't air last week and I haven't heard it at all during this one, either. The segment, which featured two "expert" panelists who chewed over the news items of the day, was traditionally the final part of the show, and has been for years. 

Apparently, it's one of the changes Mike Bendixen has instituted because the segment is gone. What's taking its place? That's the issue. It seems to be Oakley and his producer simply yakking about nothing specific, while taking a few calls from listeners. I'm not sure what the point of it is, but I have to say I miss the feature. 

Its sometimes ambling replacement seems pretty banal. 

February 7, 2024 6:53 pm  #2

Re: Are There No More "Topics Worthy Of Discussion?"

It is entirely possible John got tired of the segment and shelved it himself. PDs don't decree every single decision in my experience and a good PD would let the host/producer battery decide.

I'm glad it was a feature you enjoyed but as they say, "don't be sad it's gone, be glad it happened". However, I also think the replacement should be an improvement over what was there.

February 7, 2024 7:02 pm  #3

Listening to 640 after 5:30 pm, it was just Oakley and his (unofficial) co-host rambling on about something stupid and boring.  I turned it off.

February 8, 2024 6:33 pm  #4

It appears this feature is back on Thursday. So now it's impossible to figure out what they're doing. It wasn't there through most of last week or this one in its 5:30-ish timeslot. Is this thing back or not? Only on Thursdays? Very confusing for listeners. 

February 8, 2024 6:57 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It appears this feature is back on Thursday. So now it's impossible to figure out what they're doing. It wasn't there through most of last week or this one in its 5:30-ish timeslot. Is this thing back or not? Only on Thursdays? Very confusing for listeners. 

Doesn't matter.  It's still better than anything over on that rotting corpse of 1010.

Last edited by Walter (February 8, 2024 7:02 pm)

February 9, 2024 11:13 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

If "TWoD" is going to become a weekly feature, that should be conveyed to the audience.