sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2024 7:55 am  #1

Less Than 20 Days To Go Before Jays Play. But Who Will Call The Games?

It's hard to believe that the Jays will play their first spring training game of the year on Saturday, Feb. 24th vs. the Phillies in Dunedin. Generally, that first match is broadcast on both TV and radio. Yet there's still no word on who the voice will be doing radio play-by-play for the team, after Rogers parted ways with Ben Wagner last November and promised to reveal who would replace him 'at a future date.'

Well, the future is now. And that lack of an announcement this late in the - you should pardon the expression - game increasingly leads me to the conclusion that they're going to use TV audio for their broadcasts, which as most here know doesn't work and is a very unsatisfying experience for listeners. 

You'd think if they were going to put somebody new in that chair, they would have told us by now. 

I hope I'm wrong. But it's the ever cheap Rogers, so I'm guessing I'm not. 

February 6, 2024 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Less Than 20 Days To Go Before Jays Play. But Who Will Call The Games?

I'll take 'Television Audio' for $100 please, Alex.

February 6, 2024 7:19 pm  #3

I feel like this ties in to the thread about sports moving gradually over to streaming.

Radio play-by-play was essential when few (or no) games were on TV. Then, most games started to be on TV, but radio play-by-play still played a role when one couldn't be tethered to a TV.

Now, streaming has cut that tether. 

TV play-by-play obviously doesn't work on the radio as well as a dedicated call, but it's just "good enough" if you need to step away to run an errand.

Mobile TV streaming will unfortunately kill the art of radio play-by-play. The Blue Jays are just the first because the unique vertical integration situation means no pushback from the team.

February 6, 2024 8:00 pm  #4

I'll go out on a limb and say AI. Is there anything ChatGPT can't do?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 6, 2024 8:02 pm  #5

Leslieville Bill wrote:

I'll go out on a limb and say AI. Is there anything ChatGPT can't do?

Seems it can do a poor job of just about anything!

February 6, 2024 9:26 pm  #6

I'd bet Jr. Shulman from the studio watching monitors.