sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2024 3:41 pm  #1

He's Baaack! Jack Berkovits Returns To GTA Radio

The owner of Omni Jewelcrafters is getting yet another gig on a GTA radio station. This time, SOWNY member Jack Berkovits will be doing a 2-hour show every Wednesday-Friday on Sauga 960 between 1-3 PM, in now-morning man Marc Patrone's old spot. 

I caught the tail end of a  bizarre promo for him on Tuesday, in which he says something like, 'they tossed me off one radio station for being too controversial, and another for sounding too Jewish."

With all due respect to the returning host, I find that last part a bit hard to believe. There couldn't possibly be an HR department or PD these days who would dare use that as an excuse without getting his ass handed to him by the Cdn. Human Rights Commission or some other organization - and leaving the station in question open to a massive lawsuit. 

In any event, the man with the big jewels - and the even bigger mouth - will be back again if you care to listen starting Wednesday. It's not clear why it's not 5 days a week, but perhaps if he's a hit, they'll expand it in the future. 

January 30, 2024 7:15 pm  #2

Re: He's Baaack! Jack Berkovits Returns To GTA Radio

I went on Jacks show once on 640 it was a hoot, very few rules with Jack. To be fair, he did not restrict my mouth.

January 31, 2024 8:15 pm  #3

I tuned in Sauga960 at 1 PM just to hear what Berkovits' first words might be. 

There weren't any. 

Despite running promos telling listeners to tune into his new show Wednesdays to Fridays from 1-3 PM, there was the same old Marc Patrone reroll in that time slot. Jack does not give a date for when his revamped show begins and they even aired the promo in the time slot he's supposed to be on, which was strange. 

I'll try it again Thursday - maybe he starts in the new month - although checking the station's website isn't much help. It still lists Raw Mike Richards as being on in the mornings, even after he left the place months ago. Berkovits' name and face are nowhere to be seen. 

January 31, 2024 8:44 pm  #4

Berkovits' new show starts next Wednesday, February 7, according to several posts on his Facebook page.

Last edited by eladb (January 31, 2024 8:44 pm)

January 31, 2024 8:54 pm  #5

Hello, today on "Who Cares"...

Last edited by newsguy1 (January 31, 2024 8:55 pm)

January 31, 2024 9:10 pm  #6

eladb wrote:

Berkovits' new show starts next Wednesday, February 7, according to several posts on his Facebook page.

You know, you'd think they might have mentioned that in his promo which seems to run every half hour or so. The type of stupidity you only hear on CKNT!

January 31, 2024 9:17 pm  #7

By the way, in that promo, which I heard in full for the first time, Berkovits says he was fired from one radio station in Toronto, then another. But then he claims he was near a deal for a third station, but they wanted him to sound less "Jewish," so it fell through. 

My question: if he's on the level, which station could that third outlet possibly have been?

We know about his past demises on CFRB and AM640. But I can't for the life of me think of another GTA station that would do the kind of show he does. CHML? CKTB? Both seem unlikely. I would love to know the name of the place that warned him his own ethnicity was a reason for disqualification. 

February 1, 2024 1:51 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The type of stupidity you only hear on CKNT!

That is if anyone actually hears them...

February 1, 2024 7:36 am  #9

I like to monitor them every now and then because they're a bit of an odd throwback to a time mostly long gone in radio. If you look at their schedule, they're all over the place. Their morning and afternoon drive shows are the same, but they often have different programs on different days throughout the week. 

I suppose that's partially because a lot if it is paid time, but it's very weird to hear a different show at 7 PM on Monday, a separate hour at the same time on Tuesday, another one on Wednesday and on and on it goes. That's the way it used to be decades ago and it's curious to hear it being tried again. Doesn't make it good, just unusual at a time when consistency is the hallmark of most stations. 

Add to that the extreme cheapness and I find it interesting to keep an ear on it every now and then. But you're right. I'm likely the only one!

February 1, 2024 10:33 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I find it interesting to keep an ear on it every now and then. But you're right. I'm likely the only one!

Back in the days when J. Berkovits sold baubles, bangles & bagels (the latter with cream cheese) on Hwy 7, he responded promptly to private messages sent from this SOWNY board.   Responses reflected a gentleman with a sense of humor.     Here's hoping he will return, if even for a hearty laugh or two

R-S-T-L-N-E

February 7, 2024 7:05 pm  #11

I listened to the debut episode on Wednesday and frankly, I don't really know what to say. It was a 2-hour monologue, minus commercials (which, interestingly, included a new client for Sauga 960 - Berkovits' own chain, Omni Jewelcrafters.) 

Berkovits explained his radio past, outlined his life story, talked about how his father didn't want him to go into the jewelry business and emphasized his religious beliefs. 

There were no phone calls, and there won't be any on Thursday, but he says he will be live on Friday, when he will take on the war in the Middle East with callers. 

He also repeated the story about getting fired from 1010 and 640 (which he named only by their frequencies) and reiterated his claim that a radio station owner who is a Holocaust survivor offered him 'any time slot he wanted' if only he would tone down his "Jewishness."

He pointedly did not say the call letters of said station and I would be very curious to know who this was. I can't think of another local talk station that fits that description or would make that demand. 

All in all, a very odd first show and likely not appointment tuning for me. Still, I wish him luck. If nothing else, he never gives up on his dream of being on the radio. 

February 7, 2024 7:13 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

He also repeated the story about getting fired from 1010 and 640 (which he named only by their frequencies) and reiterated his claim that a radio station owner who is a Holocaust survivor offered him 'any time slot he wanted' if only he would tone down his "Jewishness."
He pointedly did not say the call letters of said station and I would be very curious to know who this was. I can't think of another local talk station that fits that description or would make that demand.

My guess would be AM 740, as they do have some talk programming. Just a guess. I don't know why they would ask him to tone down his Jewishness, if this story is true.

February 7, 2024 9:28 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

… minus commercials (which, interestingly, included a new client for Sauga 960 - Berkovits' own chain, Omni Jewelcrafters.) 

…aaaaaand there it is.

February 7, 2024 9:46 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

… minus commercials (which, interestingly, included a new client for Sauga 960 - Berkovits' own chain, Omni Jewelcrafters.) 

…aaaaaand there it is.

He said on his first show that he likes to "reward" the stations that employ him, hence the campaign. Seems like Omni advertises on any station he works for and then the ads get pulled when he's let go. Well, at least Spence Diamonds doesn't turn up on Sauga 960. (Although I think it would be hilarious if they ever bought time on his show!)

February 7, 2024 9:48 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

…aaaaaand there it is.

He said on his first show that he likes to "reward" the stations that employ him, hence the campaign. Seems like Omni advertises on any station he works for and then the ads get pulled when he's let go. Well, at least Spence Diamonds doesn't turn up on Sauga 960. (Although I think it would be hilarious if they ever bought time on his show!)

The money would be flowing in one direction in this arrangement.