sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2024 5:57 pm  #1

The Seinfeld-Like Sitcom You've Probably Never Seen

It doesn't have the same sensibility as Seinfeld, but it does share a few things - it purports to show the off-stage life of a famous comedian. If you've ever seen or heard the great Jim Gaffigan, you'll know he has a very successful career as a stand-up comedian, often obsessed with food. (His bit on "Hot Pockets" is played all the time on Funny 820.)

In 2015, back in the days when TV economics were different and they could afford to make shows instead of just airing reruns, U.S. cable channel TVLand commissioned two seasons of Gaffigan's show, in which he essentially played an exaggerated version of himself - a comedian who leaves the stage to go home to his wife and five kids in a small New York City apartment.

I had no idea if this would fly, but after watching some of them way back then, I really enjoyed them. And it became a must see every week. I'm not positive, but I don't believe it was ever shown in Canada, which is why you may have never heard of it.

The sitcom was a hit with critics and a second season was ordered. But despite the fact it was doing well with audiences, Gaffigan and his wife, Jeannie, who produced the show, decided it was taking them away from their family and decided not to produce a third year.

What a shame. This one could have run for a long time. The acting was good and the writing was terrific. (My favourite episode was the one where Gaffigan auditions for a movie role for a character called "Ugly," and everyone tells him he's perfect for it - which leaves him both excited and somewhat insulted!)

If you're looking for something different to watch this weekend, it's worth a look. The first 11 episodes of Season One are available for free on YouTube. (I haven't been able to locate a Season 2 freebie yet.) It's a chance to see what should could have been a TV classic, if the creators had just wanted it to go on longer. 

The Jim Gaffigan Show Season One

January 27, 2024 4:25 am  #2

Re: The Seinfeld-Like Sitcom You've Probably Never Seen

I remember this - CTV Comedy Channel (whatever it was called in 2015) carried it.

January 27, 2024 9:07 pm  #3

Re: The Seinfeld-Like Sitcom You've Probably Never Seen

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized it was ever shown here. I wish there had been more than two seasons. It had real promise.