sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2024 3:46 pm  #1

CBS' One-Of-A-Kind Charles Osgood Dies At 91

Back when I was working at CKEY, we used to have the exclusive Canadian rights to CBS Radio News. And that's where I first heard the incredible voice and writing of Charles Osgood, who would go on to host the terrific CBS Sunday Morning show on TV. 

This guy was a singular talent with a terrific voice but he was an even better writer. He was amazing, a throwback to a kind of radio no one really does anymore. And he displayed it daily on a magnificent commentary feature called "The Osgood File."

Sad to report that Osgood has passed away at the ripe old age of 91. I'm not sure how many here were familiar with his radio work. But he truly was one of a kind. That kind of original creative writing simply doesn't happen on air anymore. And that's a shame. 

"Short words, short sentences, short paragraphs," Osgood said. "There's nothing that can't be improved by making it shorter and better."

And his reports often rhymed, offering piquant commentary on the day's events. He said some stories were just naturals that he knew right away he could make rhymes of in the rushed 60 to 90 minutes he had each morning to compose them. He said, "Some news is good and some is worse, and some news goes from bad to verse." 

Goodbye Charlie. "I'll see you on the radio."

CBS, his long time network, pays tribute to this master craftsman at the link below. 

Charles Osgood, veteran CBS newsman and longtime host of "Sunday Morning," dies at 91

January 28, 2024 12:34 pm  #2

Re: CBS' One-Of-A-Kind Charles Osgood Dies At 91

CBS' Sunday Morning pays a few more tributes to its now lost former host. In the first, they trace how a kid from Baltimore ended up on a major network TV show - including the influence his college radio experience played in getting him there.

Charles Osgood: A broadcast journalist's journey 

But this one may be my favourite - a piece by the equally legendary Ted Koppel on how the two started together in the early years, had dreams of buying their own FM station, and how, when they tried to start their own morning show on another network, a monkey wound up killing them in the ratings. 

The pic of Koppel as a fresh-faced impossibly young, brush cut 23-year-old fledgling reporter is worth the watch on its own. 

Ted Koppel on his longtime friend Charles Osgood