sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2024 11:53 am  #1

Alan Cross Looks At HD Radio - And Why It's Already Become An Also-Ran

Q107 and the Edge's Alan Cross is well aware of HD Radio, even if he fears most consumers with it in their cars aren't. But even he admits he barely thinks of it when he's driving somewhere. 

"I have it in my car, but I never think to tune in. It’s AM, FM, satellite, or streaming audio from my phone using Apple CarPlay. HD Radio isn’t even an afterthought — a shameful admission for someone who’s been in the business for over 40 years. I don’t even know if anyone gathers ratings on HD stations."

In this think piece, Cross examines why, while the technology is in most cars, it's simply never caught on with consumers, who may not even be aware it exists. And part of that is on the radio stations who put up the signals - but never tell listeners they're there. 

How is HD Radio doing in Canada? It depends

January 21, 2024 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Alan Cross Looks At HD Radio - And Why It's Already Become An Also-Ran

Really good article, other than:

I don’t even know if anyone gathers ratings on HD stations."

He could have simply asked his employer, who knows that the answer is 'no.' Numeris refuses to rate any unique HD programming.

In Vancouver, Pattison made a genuine effort when they launched "Now 102.7" and shuffled the former alt-formatted "102.7 The PEAK" to HD and streaming, including the live announcers! Also, to RA's point, in this case they actually did tell people. Unfortunately, Numeris said no to measuring it and that was the end of that.

(In retrospect, it's probably best that it didn't get measured; it likely would have been embarrassing for all parties)

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 21, 2024 12:36 pm)

January 21, 2024 3:37 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

He could have simply asked his employer, who knows that the answer is 'no.' Numeris refuses to rate any unique HD programming.

In Vancouver, Pattison made a genuine effort when they launched "Now 102.7" and shuffled the former alt-formatted "102.7 The PEAK" to HD and streaming, including the live announcers! Also, to RA's point, in this case they actually did tell people. Unfortunately, Numeris said no to measuring it and that was the end of that.

(In retrospect, it's probably best that it didn't get measured; it likely would have been embarrassing for all parties)

Despite being in Vancouver, I have never once seen The Peak on HD radio advertised anywhere. Maybe it’s out there and I missed it.

The only HD radio I’ve ever seen advertised in Canada is CKNW on 101.1 HD2, which sometimes is shown on the ticker on Global BC’s Morning News.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 21, 2024 3:38 pm)

January 21, 2024 3:42 pm  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Despite being in Vancouver, I have never once seen The Peak on HD radio advertised anywhere. Maybe it’s out there and I missed it.

The only HD radio I’ve ever seen advertised in Canada is CKNW on 101.1 HD2, which sometimes is shown on the ticker on Global BC’s Morning News.

They went quite heavily on The PEAK’s highly followed social channels.

January 21, 2024 3:45 pm  #5

If it is not available @ Best Buy there is no such thing. 
Dead topic.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2024 3:49 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Dead topic.

That’s all radio then.  Good luck finding anything other than a cheap clock radio there….or a home theatre receiver that happens to have an FM tuner as an afterthought.

January 21, 2024 5:51 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Dead topic.

That’s all radio then. Good luck finding anything other than a cheap clock radio there….or a home theatre receiver that happens to have an FM tuner as an afterthought.

Sure, and tell people to go to Steeles avenue to go buy an XM/Sirus in the first place. Stop there, and leave it at that. 
(I'm talking about the first place, not now...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 21, 2024 5:57 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2024 6:01 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Dead topic.

That’s all radio then. Good luck finding anything other than a cheap clock radio there….or a home theatre receiver that happens to have an FM tuner as an afterthought.

Sure, and tell people to go to Steeles avenue to go buy an XM/Sirus in the first place. Stop there, and leave it at that. 
(I'm talking about the first place, not now...)

I know you've said you don't drive, but given your username you should know that both HD and SXM are primarily in-car platforms.

For out-of-car listening, everything available on HD or SXM is streaming. There is no need for most anybody to buy an HD or SXM "radio"

January 22, 2024 12:08 pm  #9

HD is also a problem in Toronto as if it was popular enough, the CN Tower has to under-go a heavy upgrade as we know, so Allan's employer is lucky.