sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2024 3:08 pm  #1

I was wrong, there is some great talk radio in Toronto

I recently shared my disappointment ( mildly understated )regarding the quality of talk radio in Toronto . However, I was pleasantly surprised when I tuned into AM 640 during the Oakley show and heard genuine laughter and conversation between real people. I double-checked to make sure it was AM 640 Toronto, and it was! Since then, I have been listening regularly.

I have heard Oakley's show before and found his topics to be entertaining and refreshing compared to the usual political discussions that dominate Toronto radio. I believe that some credit goes to ex-Alex Pierson, Mike Downey who began as a sound operator and worked his way up to a producer. He knows how to go against the grain and read the audience, and John Oakley has the experience and talent to make it all work. Finally, someone has broken the mould.

I would like to give a standing ovation to the Oakley and Downey team.

January 20, 2024 3:34 pm  #2

Re: I was wrong, there is some great talk radio in Toronto

Mike Bendixen? Is that you, posting under an alias? 

January 20, 2024 4:17 pm  #3

AspectRatio wrote:

Mike Bendixen? Is that you, posting under an alias? 

Nope.  But I would agree that Michael Downey is a talent.

January 20, 2024 7:34 pm  #4

I have always liked John and his style.  He was great as a morning show host back when he did morning drive on 640.   Oakley's show is kind of a nich program and not for everyone, but his humour, off beat style and irreverence continue to make him an interesting guy to listen to after all these years.