sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2024 9:48 pm  #1

My Favourite Piece Of Old Broadcast Equipment: The Cart Machine

When I was first getting started in radio a long time ago and was learning the ropes, I remember being fascinated by carts and the machines that played them. There was something about the cartridges that held all the music, news reports, commercials and jingles that captured my imagination. 

It meant that - outside of the tape inside being mangled, a rare thing - you never had to worry about cueing up a record or a tape and there was less margin for error. And they sounded pretty good, too. 

In case you're not familiar with them, they looked a lot like an 8-track tape, but generally there was only one thing on it. And they would automatically recue themselves to the beginning once whatever was playing on it was finished.

You could also put a special inaudible tone on it to signal you when the song had 30 secs. left, so you could do other things while it was playing on air. And the label allowed you to list the outcue, the number of posts you could hit on any particular song and when the vocal started. What more could you ask for? 

It made being tight on air relatively easy - as long as they were properly cued and didn't misfire.(We always had an emergency cart with a song loaded up ready to go, just in case one of them malfunctioned.)

The reason this comes up again is that I came across this site that traces the various models of cart machines that were made going back to the very first prototype, way back in 1955! It was called the MacKenzie repeater and could play up to five tapes at once.

The computer age has wiped them out (do they even make them anymore?) But they sure were fun while they lasted.

By the way, the blue cart pictured below was one I kept as a souvenir. You might remember hearing it. It had Jim Brady's famous "Good Morning" shout out on it, that he used at the top of the hour at CFTR. Too bad I have nothing to play it on, so I haven't heard it in years. (Wonder if it's cued up?)

January 11, 2024 9:51 pm  #2

Re: My Favourite Piece Of Old Broadcast Equipment: The Cart Machine

I think this was the one that most stations used. What a great workhorse and a wonderful machine.

January 11, 2024 10:13 pm  #3

Minidiscs were to be the permanent replacement for the format. At least for a while.

January 11, 2024 10:45 pm  #4

My experience was mostly using ITC machines, including the Delta and their triple decker.  I really think the hatred for cart machines is overdone.  They were pretty much the sonic equal of half-track open-reel at 7.5 IPS.  And while jam ups happened, they were less common than we seem to think they were.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 11, 2024 11:08 pm  #5

my very first station job was creating new carts and fixing old ones.  i was 12 and the station's engineer took pity on me as a kid hanging around the station.  he gave me a machine that would feed out 30, 60, 90, and 120 second tape from a reel onto a cart spool, that i would splice with a razor blade and tape to insert into a cart.  I think i charged 50 cents per unit.  aah good times.

January 12, 2024 12:12 am  #6

My first ever experience with cart machines was way back in the day with CKCC @ Centennial College back in the early 90's. (yes, back when it was inside the Warden Campus)
We only used the carts to air commercials.
They had a note on the wall that read "Pleeeeeze play the commercials or feel free to pay for your show.
I never had to touch one since. 
(because other community radio stations I got involved with were not using carts) 

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 12, 2024 1:58 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 19, 2024 5:49 pm  #7

This is from a Facebook site called Radio Memory Lane. Can't say I ever heard of this thing. Did anyone here ever have to use one? Sounds like torture.