sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2023 11:29 am  #1

Some Amazing New Year's Eve Programming On WNED

Forget Ryan Seacrest or any of the live countdowns. My DVR will be very busy this New Year's Eve with programming that WNED Buffalo is playing as one year turns to the next. Among the highlights:

10 PM: "Sinatra: A Man & His Music" replays the time Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald performed together. Not really my kind of music, but two legends on stage has to be worth seeing. 

10:58 PM: "Roy Orbison: A Black & White Night," a legend of a different vintage gets tributes from some of music's biggest stars, including Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, k.d. lang and Jackson Browne - just to name a few.

11:59 PM: At a minute before 2024, "Tom Lehrer, Live In Copenhagen" appears, a 1967 concert featuring the legendary satirist, who - in a remarkable document on his website - has declared every single one of his songs is in the public domain and has given up copyrights to all his works:

"All copyrights to lyrics or music written or composed by me have been permanently and irrevocably relinquished, and therefore such songs are now in the public domain. All of my songs that have never been copyrighted, having been available for free for so long, are now also in the public domain. In other words, I have abandoned, surrendered and disclaimed all right, title and interest in and to my work and have injected any and all copyrights into the public domain."

If you've never heard tunes like "Poisoning Pigeons In The Park" or my favourite, "New Math," you're in for a treat.

But it doesn't end there. As a lifelong Marx Bros. fan, I'm really looking forward to the last big show of the night at 1 AM, featuring Frank Ferrante as Groucho Marx, in a one man play that's gotten great reviews. Ferrante was picked by Groucho's son, Arthur, for the role and he's being playing it to great accolades for decades. 

A repeat of the American Masters special about Dick Cavett's relationship with the real thing follows at 2:30 AM. 

My DVR is about to get clogged, but with some really amazing stuff. If any of this tempts you, even if you won't be home, you may want to set yours, too, before you forget.

December 31, 2023 4:04 pm  #2

Re: Some Amazing New Year's Eve Programming On WNED

Kathleen Madigan - PBS & John Denver : )) .. 

http://tinyurl.com/3ymzn8v6 

December 31, 2023 6:03 pm  #3

Re: Some Amazing New Year's Eve Programming On WNED

Thanks for the heads-up, RA.  PVR is getting set up as we speak.