sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2023 10:16 pm  #1

See NBC News' Great Tribute To Those Who Passed In 2023

Normally a kicker on NBC Nightly News is about 2 minutes long or less. This one was closer to 6 minutes, but it was terrific. No words, just a lot of music and good video from the greats we said goodbye to this year. They came from the world of entertainment, sports, politics and music. And yes, they included Gordon Lightfoot and Robbie Robertson. 

Very well put together and worth a look here if you're interested. I wondered who the last person pictured would be and in retrospect, it should not have surprised me. 

December 29, 2023 8:55 am  #2

Re: See NBC News' Great Tribute To Those Who Passed In 2023

Nicely done, again, thanks for sharing RA.

December 29, 2023 9:58 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Normally a kicker on NBC Nightly News is about 2 minutes long or less. This one was closer to 6 minutes, but it was terrific. No words, just a lot of music and good video from the greats we said goodbye to this year. They came from the world of entertainment, sports, politics and music. And yes, they included Gordon Lightfoot and Robbie Robertson. 

Very well put together and worth a look here if you're interested. I wondered who the last person pictured would be and in retrospect, it should not have surprised me. 

We usually watch NBC at 6:30. Val got up and as the tribute started, not expecting anything special…went out to the
kitchen, while I kept watching and was blown away. The one thing that stood out was the sheer number of *really*
famous artists and personalities who left us in 2023.
Thanks, RA, for the link for those who missed it.

December 29, 2023 10:17 am  #4

If you run an ad blocker ,such as I do, the video is not available. 

December 29, 2023 10:32 am  #5

mike marshall wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

We usually watch NBC at 6:30. Val got up and as the tribute started, not expecting anything special…went out to the
kitchen, while I kept watching and was blown away. The one thing that stood out was the sheer number of *really*
famous artists and personalities who left us in 2023.
Thanks, RA, for the link for those who missed it.

What struck me most and I even teared up slightly at one point, was all the musicians we lost. It's one thing to hear about it one by one over the course of a year. It's another to realize all these people who were icons of our youth and beyond are all gone. It has an impact. And I thought the music they chose to use was brilliant. 

mic'em wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that. I run Ad Block Plus and it works fine for me. I turned off both my VPN and my ad blocker just to see and it still played as normal. (No ads in the video or on the site, as far as I can tell.) I'm not doubting your experience, but it didn't happen to me. Could something else be going on?

December 29, 2023 11:46 am  #6

FYI, CBS Sunday Morning will air its annual Hail and Farewell segment on Sunday. It's usually very comprehensive and often runs 20 minutes or more. It sounds a bit macabre, but it's something I look forward to every year.

December 29, 2023 12:15 pm  #7

Thanks for the head's up. I'll watch for it. 

December 29, 2023 1:17 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

mic'em wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that. I run Ad Block Plus and it works fine for me. I turned off both my VPN and my ad blocker just to see and it still played as normal. (No ads in the video or on the site, as far as I can tell.) I'm not doubting your experience, but it didn't happen to me. Could something else be going on?

Video played for me in Firefox on Windows 11 with uBlock Origin.

December 29, 2023 4:05 pm  #9

I use Avast as OP. If I use Google Chrome, then it does play. The same happened on the TVO site. 

December 31, 2023 10:13 pm  #10

Tq345 wrote:

FYI, CBS Sunday Morning will air its annual Hail and Farewell segment on Sunday. It's usually very comprehensive and often runs 20 minutes or more. It sounds a bit macabre, but it's something I look forward to every year.

For those who missed this on Sunday morning, here's where you can see it online.