sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2023 11:23 am  #1

Is The T.O. Star Using A.I. To Generate These Articles On Its Website?

I've been a subscriber to the Toronto Star's Saturday paper for years, but this is the first time I've seen this - although it may have been going on for a while. 

They're articles/lists that are credited to something called "Open Team Data," which looks suspiciously like something Artificial Intelligence might generate. So what is it exactly? Here's how the paper defines this new entity that's supplying content to its site.

"The Torstar Open Data Team is a collaborative of editorial, data and technical staff who work with public open data sources to provide useful and actionable stories for readers. Topics covered to date include scheduled roadworks, restaurant food inspections and water quality at public beaches."

Is that clear to anybody or does that seem sort of a word salad that explains very little? Mostly, they're just lists for now, which I suppose is relatively harmless. But if they're automatically generated without much human intervention, readers should know that.

And the other question, of course, is will this be expanded to eventually include actual stories in the future as the technology improves and fewer reporters are hired? I hope not, but with the newspaper industry shrinking and the Star's financial future already somewhat murky, I have to wonder if this is where we're headed. 

You may remember earlier this year when Sports Illustrated was accused of using AI to write articles on its site, stories that may have included some wrong or questionable facts. That cost the CEO his job. All newspapers should tread carefully here. Generating a verifiable list is fine, I suppose. But will it go beyond that? And does this bother you at all?

Here's an example of a list article posted on the Star site that credits "Open Team Data." Do you think it's AI generated or was there some human intervention here? I honestly don't know. But it's a question worth asking. 

December 26, 2023 11:30 am  #2

Re: Is The T.O. Star Using A.I. To Generate These Articles On Its Website?

RadioActive wrote:

Here's an example of a list article posted on the Star site that credits "Open Team Data." Do you think it's AI generated or was there some human intervention here? I honestly don't know. But it's a question worth asking. 

100% generated by generative AI (GAI). You can tell by the short, focused sentences it employs. And this line, found at the end of the article: "This story was automatically generated using data from Environment Canada."

Hopefully, at the very least, these articles are reviewed by a pair of human eyes before being posted, as opposed to automatically generated and made live online before any check for accuracy.

For multi-layered, investigative reporting, it will be extremely hard to replace flesh and blood human journalists with AI. At least, impossible with GAI. God help us if we ever achieve true AI.

Last edited by Fjiri (December 26, 2023 11:38 am)

January 7, 2024 8:25 am  #3

Sunday Star celebrates New Year with substantial single-issue price at convenience stores.  Suicide suspected but not yet confirmed   

January 7, 2024 10:38 am  #4

All of their editions have gone up in price. I get the Saturday Star and have just seen an increase, supposedly to subsidize the cost of delivery. They publish the same copy every time they up the ante, noting "the Star remains a great value."

Not so sure that's true anymore. I suspect I'm not the only one to have noticed that Saturday edition is shrinking in size and relevant content over the years. 

The truth of the matter seems to be that the paper is hemorrhaging money and I expect more price hikes as time passes.

January 7, 2024 10:40 pm  #5

My annual subscription to the Toronto Star expires mid January. Need I say more?