sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2023 5:53 pm  #1

Attn. weather people: stop with the White Christmas stuff, already!

I fully admit to being something of a Grinch on this, but I can’t be the only one who feels this way.

Why, in God’s name, does every anchor person and weather forecaster on every TV channel at this time of year keep hoping for a white Christmas or expressing their sadness that there won't be one? I know, it’s the traditional Xmas theme for many, but honestly – you’re really hoping for terrible, freezing cold weather?

The excuse for this is that it supposedly makes everything look pretty.

Yet snow clogs up roads, causes sometimes fatal accidents, leads to heart attacks from shoveling, broken bones from slipping and falling, destroys clothes and shoes, makes people late for dinner and costs taxpayers a fortune to clean it all up. So yeah, it’s pretty - pretty ugly.

Imagine if I said I was dreaming of a Christmas hurricane, because it makes the sky look green and red.

Fortunately, it looks like we won’t be getting that white blight this year. But please weather people – stop wishing for a huge storm that will do nothing but cause carnage. And if I only had a time machine, I’d go back and stop Irving Berlin from ever writing that terrible tune.

Fortunately, this will all be over by next week. That’s what I’m dreaming of!

December 21, 2023 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Attn. weather people: stop with the White Christmas stuff, already!

The Grinch wrote:

I fully admit to being something of a Grinch on this, but I can’t be the only one who feels this way.

Why, in God’s name, does every anchor person and weather forecaster on every TV channel at this time of year keep hoping for a white Christmas or expressing their sadness that there won't be one? I know, it’s the traditional Xmas theme for many, but honestly – you’re really hoping for terrible, freezing cold weather?

The excuse for this is that it supposedly makes everything look pretty.

Yet snow clogs up roads, causes sometimes fatal accidents, leads to heart attacks from shoveling, broken bones from slipping and falling, destroys clothes and shoes, makes people late for dinner and costs taxpayers a fortune to clean it all up. So yeah, it’s pretty - pretty ugly.

Imagine if I said I was dreaming of a Christmas hurricane, because it makes the sky look green and red.

Fortunately, it looks like we won’t be getting that white blight this year. But please weather people – stop wishing for a huge storm that will do nothing but cause carnage. And if I only had a time machine, I’d go back and stop Irving Berlin from ever writing that terrible tune.

Fortunately, this will all be over by next week. That’s what I’m dreaming of!

Merry Christmas

December 21, 2023 7:06 pm  #3

My late father used to say he wouldn't care if he had to cut the lawn on Christmas Day.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 21, 2023 8:28 pm  #4

One of my fave new years eve moments was when I was 18 and flew to Florida for the holidays with my family. I spent New Years Eve in the swimming pool. Give  me sunshine, warm temps sand on the beach on Christmas Eve and the holiday season!  

White Christmas? Bahh Humbug! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 21, 2023 8:46 pm  #5

A light dusting of snow just to whiten the grass is perfect. No more. To me, Christmas should be cloudy. Snow or no snow, it never feels like Christmas if it is sunny outside.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 21, 2023 8:48 pm  #6

It's pretty to look at, though. Like a picture print by Currier and Ives. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 21, 2023 9:32 pm  #7

The whole concept of a white Christmas is you are tucked away indoors with no responsibilities.
Like the song says "since there's no place to go, let it snow."
It's a fantasy world, nice for poems and song but impractical for reality.