sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2023 12:47 pm  #1

Rogers Cable

My payment for the month of November was late

So Rogers sent us an email which I've since discarded but it went something like this...

We know it's a busy time of year and things can slip through the cracks etc. etc. It was a gentle reminder - cordial sounding - and in no way threatening that we'd missed paying the November bill. The Rogers reminder landed in my inbox about one week after the due date. Not what one might call much of a grace period in the least. The bill was paid within minutes of reading their email.

Now we come to find out that minor misstep - being 6 days late in paying the Rogers cable bill will cost us a $3.78 late charge which has been added to the most recent bill newly arrived.

Turns out the Rogers email that served as my friendly reminder to pay the bill wasn't so friendly after all. They got the immediate response they were after but apparently that isn't good enough for them. Have & had Rogers cable in my home and former businesses for many decades.

Rotten bastards

December 20, 2023 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Rogers Cable

Got a email yesterday from a collection agency demanding payment on my overdue bill from Bell Mobility. I don't have and never have had a Bell Mobility account.

Last edited by turkeytop (December 20, 2023 1:27 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 20, 2023 1:48 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Got a email yesterday from a collection agency demanding payment on my overdue bill from Bell Mobility. I don't have and never have had a Bell Mobility account.

I'm not saying this happened, but you should check to be sure your identity hasn't been stolen. I went through this a couple of years ago and managed to more or less nip it in the bud before it got out of control. 

It started when I came home from work after the 11 PM news on a Friday and saw a message waiting on my answering machine. (No texting in those days.) It was from the CIBC, who told me to call their emergency number, no matter what time, even if it was after midnight. Uh oh. This can't be good. 

I was told they'd had a major breach and that my Social Insurance Number had been stolen. That was all the hackers needed to start credit cards and other accounts in my name. Before I knew it (in fact before the bank even called) they'd already started charging for things in Pennsylvania and elsewhere. 

Soon, I got a letter from The Bay, asking for when I was going to pay for the clothes I never purchased. 

A collection agency called, making threats about paying bills I never had.

Fortunately, I had reported the breach immediately to the local police and the RCMP Fraud Bureau, and had the officer's name and the case number. When the collections guy started making noise, I referred him to the cops. I never heard from him again. 

I still have to put a note on my credit file every six years for the rest of my life with TransUnion and Equifax to be sure my files are flagged, if they ever try to use my SIN again. It's a huge pain and I would never want anyone else to have to go through it. 

So unless your call was a scammer trying to get info out of you, I would recommend you check to see if your identity is safe, just in case. 

Sorry, this isn't radio related, but it's advice everyone should know. By the time it happens to you, it's already too late.

And no, I no longer bank with the CIBC. 

December 20, 2023 1:52 pm  #4

I was late making payment also.
Knowing that there will be a $3-$5 late payment charge with no way around it, 
I deliberately paid $200 instead of the usual $190. (for 4 services, bundled) 
That way,  I am a step ahead for the next bill.  

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 20, 2023 1:55 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 20, 2023 2:08 pm  #5

My bride was on the phone with Rogers this morning

She asked to have the late payment charge removed

After a few minutes on hold she was informed the the fee would be voided

We'll have to pay it this bill but will receive a credit next time around

Best possible outcome under the circumstances

December 20, 2023 2:24 pm  #6

While many companies (especially credit cards) charge a late penalty, this is one of the reasons I will not do business with Bell or Rogers. I don't like the way they operate, how they treat loyal customers who may have made a simple mistake or deal with people who want to leave for other providers. 

You should not have had to jump through hoops to get out of the charge. And no, it's not the amount, it's the principle that chafes. They would have loved to ding you for that unnecessary $3.78, just because they could. If you hadn't complained, it would still be another four bucks or so in their pockets. It sounds like you're a good customer - and they're a bad company. 

One more reason why they'll never get a dime out of me.

December 20, 2023 2:30 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I'm not saying this happened, but you should check to be sure your identity hasn't been stolen. I went through this a couple of years ago and managed to more or less nip it in the bud before it got out of control. 

Around 22 years-ago I had a rental car from Hertz in Markham and my drivers license and Visa info was scooped.   I only found out when I received two extensive bills (total $1500) from Telus for me and my fictional partner that had calls all over the world.  The phones had been purchased with my info at the Pickering Town Centre.    Then I got my Visa bill containing US $18,000 worth of camera gear ordered online from the USA that I never received.     Visa did a great job in clearing it up but my biggest issue was over how, a few weeks before, I used my Visa for a $4 pay phone call from Pickering to Mississauga (remember those days?) and Visa were all over it as 'unusual' activity.  They even called me at work!   But when the shit hit the fan later?   Not a peep from them! 

Lesson learned.   I check my credit report from Equifax / TransUnion once per year for any activity and check my Visa online frequently.    Always be careful if you hear about that kind of activity.      On the other hand, one of the cell numbers I had kept getting calls from collection agencies because the previous holder was a deadbeat.  

Last edited by SpinningWheel (December 20, 2023 2:32 pm)

December 21, 2023 1:14 pm  #8

Although nor directly related, some companies and banks (RBC) are now charging you for the privilege of sending a paper statement. RBC wants $2.25 someone else wants 75 cents.
They can go to hell. So far I have been successful in getting this waived by promising to take my business elsewhere.

As for late payment fees, it would not be hard to program their computers to forgive any late charge if the customer has a good payment record. But they won't.

It's rare but I occasionally miss a bill and will accept the penalty as my penance, but it still annoys especially when you often pay an account before the due date.

No wonder many companies are held in low esteem and again, they don't care.

Last edited by darcyh (December 21, 2023 1:15 pm)