sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2023 11:57 am  #1

Do You Subscribe To SiriusXM? You May Want To Read This

Like so many things, giving them your credit card is easy. But getting them to stop charging it, apparently, is not.  Disgruntled customers in New York State discovered to their extreme anger that cancelling the satellite radio service wasn't quite as easy as getting it turned on. 

"The investigation was opened after “hundreds of customers” reported complaints of the company’s difficult cancellation process.

In one example laid out by [New York Attorney General Letitia] James, a SiriusXM agent allegedly kept a customer in an online chat for 40 minutes despite their “clear and repeated” requests to cancel and continued to charge them after, despite the customer cancelling. SiriusXM claimed it “was not able to locate any cancellation request” from the customer."

SiriusXM sued for allegedly trapping customers in unwanted subscriptions

I'm not entirely sure what the laws are in Canada or if they can pull this stunt here, but this sounds suspiciously like Bell and Rogers' "Customer Retention Department," although hopefully even they don't take it to this extreme.

December 20, 2023 4:22 pm  #2

Re: Do You Subscribe To SiriusXM? You May Want To Read This

I'm back with SXM on a $5/month promo for 2 years.  I have cancelled in the past and it was a bit of a chore.  No way to do it on line, had to call and it took a while.

December 20, 2023 4:27 pm  #3

I cancelled over a decade ago and had no difficulty. They offered a reduced rate as an inducement and after I declined, that was that.

December 20, 2023 4:35 pm  #4

Things, it seems, have changed. The article refers to "hundreds" of complaints. Unless the law is somehow different here and they are banned from doing that in Canada, you were lucky.

December 21, 2023 9:56 pm  #5

I've been a customer since 2011.  I have three radios and I always call and "do the dance": Negotiate a deal or threaten to cancel.

They always give me the low price deal that I demand:  about  $4 or $5/month for one radi, but only for 12 months.  The other two I told them to shut off.  Then the love letters came in the mail.  I hold off...Each one offering a better deal than the last until one day an offer was seriously good: $6.99 per month until I cancel.   No need to call and negotiate every year. 

Never had a problem with them.  I'm sure my account is flagged: "a**hole customer"  and I'm fine with that!