sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2023 11:18 pm  #1

What Could A Contestant Do For This To Happen?

I was over at a relative's house the other night and they were watching the nighttime version of The Price is Right for some reason. (CBS has been running a series of them in the evenings, while they prepare programming after the actors' strike.)

At the very end of the show, I noticed something in the closing credits that made me ask them to go back and play that section again. Sure enough, I saw what I thought I'd seen as the credit roll went by very quickly. In essence it said something like "One of the contestants on tonight's show was disqualified and will not be receiving their prizes."

There was no other explanation and no indication of who it was or what they did wrong. What, exactly, do you have to do that's so bad on the Price Is Right that you don't win your prizes? Some of them are worth thousands of dollars, especially on the nighttime version. I would love to know why they were disqualified and what they did to deserve losing everything they'd just won.

I hardly ever watch TPIR, but I've never seen that before. And it's killing me - how do you cheat on this show (if that's what it was) and what did they do that led to that outcome?  Whoever comes closest to the real explanation without going over wins.

December 20, 2023 5:43 am  #2

Re: What Could A Contestant Do For This To Happen?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 20, 2023 11:26 am  #3

They may have stipulations that a person or member of a family can only appear once on the show, or over a certain time frame as a contestant.  Maybe they found out later that this participants husband or daughter had been on TPIR recently or even the same person had been on the show before. 

Rather than scrub that episode, they ran it intact but included in the credits that one of the winners was disqualified and didn't receive the prizes.  They also could have found out the problem days or weeks after the program was recorded but it hadn't aired, so they altered the graphics at the end.   

December 20, 2023 11:08 pm  #4

The most likely possibility as paterson1 has alluded to is a family connection. That is very much frowned on by the shows brass and I'm sure they make winners sign documents swearing they meet all rules & regs. Somebody fessed up and maybe that's what led to the different outcome?

As an aside while flying to and from Vegas years ago there was a male flight attendant who told us while we spent 4 days in Las Vegas he had gone to L.A. & got tickets to a Price is Right taping. He told us he was selected and won the Showcase Showdown!! He's telling us this over the planes PA system as we're flying home. Gave the passengers the air date of the show and sure enough we tuned maybe 6 weeks later and there he was!

Fantastic and perhaps the only winner on that Vegas return flight

December 21, 2023 12:02 am  #5

Hmm, I always thought there was a rule that winning contestants weren't allowed to tell anyone what happened until the show aired. I think I heard they also didn't get their prizes until the thing was broadcast. Anyone know if that's true? 

If so, he shouldn't have told you anything or he could conceivably have lost it all!

December 21, 2023 1:04 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Hmm, I always thought there was a rule that winning contestants weren't allowed to tell anyone what happened until the show aired. I think I heard they also didn't get their prizes until the thing was broadcast. Anyone know if that's true? 

If so, he shouldn't have told you anything or he could conceivably have lost it all!

Turns out I was right about that. In fact, there are a lot of rules contestants have to follow. I just found this article, and it explains all of them. So which rule do you think the disqualified "winner" broke? Did somebody have a Smart Watch?

All the Rules 'The Price Is Right' Contestants Have to Follow