sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2023 11:37 am  #1

Could The Spirit Of Radio Have Become The Spirit Of Rodeo?

In another thread, there's the story of Alan Cross celebrating episode 1,000 of his "Ongoing History of New Music." In the Global video that accompanies the piece, Cross talks about how the station he was working at had decided to go country, but then changed its mind. 

He doesn't specifically mention CFNY, but I'm almost positive it can't be anything else. If that's the case, I can't help but wonder: do you think 102.1 would have succeeded as a country music station in Toronto proper where so many others have failed? 

Yes, there was CFGM on AM for many years, but that was based in Richmond Hill, was on AM and had great on-air talent but a pretty limited audience overall. In 1993, Rawlco's CISS-FM signed on at 92.5 FM as a modern country outlet. That only lasted until 1999 when Rogers bought the station and changed the format. 

Since then, there have been slightly out-of-T.O. stations trying the format (the most recent of which is Evanov's 88.5 in Newmarket.)

Still, I'm curious and I suppose there's no real way to know. But if CFNY had flipped to boots and saddles, do you think it finally would have been the breakthrough country station that just never seems to succeed in a big way in T.O? All around us, the format is popular, including Buffalo, where WYRK has been doing well for many years. 

Yet country seems to die in this city, for reasons that have never exactly been clear to me. Would a station with a huge signal like CFNY have made the difference?

December 17, 2023 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Could The Spirit Of Radio Have Become The Spirit Of Rodeo?

RadioActive wrote:

Would a station with a huge signal like CFNY have made the difference?

CRTC Regulations back then were very different. The 49% non hit rule for FM would have automatically made the station sound very different than WYRK. (plus 30% Can Con)

To better answer this question, what were the music tests of that time suggesting? An audience that loves the "Canadian Country sound" or an audience that wishes they could hear more Nashville/American artists? 

I suppose CFNY itself could have easily hit the same bump in the road with so much great New Rock coming out of Seattle back then.
This may be why it's tough to know what to think...except, thankfully (for them) Edge 103.3 was cut off or drowned out by DC 103five (or maybe Hot 103.5, either way, it was there...)
106.5 was wide open and not yet in use in Toronto to block anything out. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 17, 2023 12:50 pm  #3

I've noticed the past several evenings, the MWs that normally pound in here at night like WCBS, WSM, WGN and KYW have been weak and noisy.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 17, 2023 4:45 pm  #4

A good indication if country could have taken off on FM in Toronto was the the launch of CISS FM in January of 1993 by Rawlco Communications.  The new station had a decent amount of promotion and did well initially in the ratings. If a country station can flourish in Vancouver, should be able to in Toronto. 

After three or four years CISS started to play too many pop cross overs into their music mix and playing less country music overall.  This was a mistake since you are losing the country music fans, and the listener who likes pop music won't be tuning into the station anyway.  

CISS only had six years as Toronto's country station. When Rogers announced they had reached a deal to buy CISS from Rawlco in February 1999, they immediately dropped country and became Top 40 initially as Power 92 and then quickly after as Kiss 92.5.  Other later formats included JACK FM, then back to top 40 and Kiss 92.5. 

Toronto has enough fans to support a country FM station but it requires dedication and sticking to country music. not watering down the format with pop cross over songs.  Another issue is the fact a Toronto country station today would have more problems picking up listeners outside of the city.  Simply because there are more country stations outside the GTA than 25 years ago.

KX 94.7 out of Hamilton is very popular and has been country since 2011.  They now have much of the western portion that a country station out of Toronto could have had 15-20 years ago.  Kitchener's Country 106.7 has the area to the north.  Other smaller stations are in Brantford, Barrie, Oshawa and Listowel.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 17, 2023 4:53 pm)

December 17, 2023 5:04 pm  #5

Don't forget that KX96 also has that repeater in downtown Toronto.

December 17, 2023 10:01 pm  #6

There is no country music radio station in Barrie. CICX FM known as Pure Country 106 does indeed cover the Barrie area, but broadcasts out of Orillia. 

December 18, 2023 12:17 pm  #7

mic'em wrote:

There is no country music radio station in Barrie. CICX FM known as Pure Country 106 does indeed cover the Barrie area, but broadcasts out of Orillia. 

Yes you are correct mic'em, Country 106 is next door in Orillia.  Guess I could have included Bayshore's country station in Shelburne. 

Also forgot that KX96 does have an 85 watt repeater in downtown Toronto.  However if Toronto were to have a successful country station, it would need to be Toronto focused and based, with coverage over the GTA and surrounding areas, similar to CISS.

December 18, 2023 12:59 pm  #8

turkeytop wrote:

I've noticed the past several evenings, the MWs that normally pound in here at night like WCBS, WSM, WGN and KYW have been weak and noisy.

Might be due to some solar activity.

December 18, 2023 1:12 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

However if Toronto were to have a successful country station, it would need to be Toronto focused and based, with coverage over the GTA and surrounding areas, similar to CISS.

Thank-you. This is what I have always been saying. Nobody is going to go all the way out to Oshawa from Toronto to shop, and vice versa. Same with some of the other places where Country music can be heard.

When 820 CHAM was still around playing Country Music, Country 59 was the example. They knew there was already a station Toronto listeners had to listen to when CFGM left, but they saw also that nobody is going to go all the way out to Hamilton from Toronto to do their shopping. 
(They also saw that they could get better ratings going after former CFGM listeners rather than tackle 1050 Chum for the same oldies/classic hits audience) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.