sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2023 3:39 pm  #1

Silly Season Begins On Toronto Talk Radio

Next week should prove to be an interesting one. Well, not exactly interesting. More like different. And probably pretty boring. It's the week when many regular hosts begin disappearing until January, taking the holidays off. Jerry Agar, for example, did his final show of 2023 on Friday and won't be back until the day after New Year's.

I'm not sure about the rest of them, but by Friday, Dec. 23, I expect the local airwaves to be a ghost town, filled with either rerolls or guest hosts. Everyone has the right to time off, of course, but I hope those who take their place actually put in the effort instead of just thinking "no one's listening, anyway."

AM640 has the most replacements on hand. Ben Mulroney, Anthony Furey (who subbed for John Oakley on Thursday) and Arlene Bynon are in the bullpen. There's also Stephanie Smyth and Steve Paikin in the background. 

'RB may make use of Mark Towhey and has Deb Hutton, Tamara Cherry and even Jason Agnew potentially waiting in the wings. Whatever happens, expect a very different sounding talk radio in Toronto over the next three weeks. How long until they all invite Santa Claus on their shows to talk to the kids? It's a yearly staple and while cute, is really, really boring! And all the politicos who make news are also gone, so their antics won't be topic fodder.

And if you're a music radio listener, you won't escape. Get ready for all that Yule gruel on the playlist for the rest of the month. 

These are definitely the worst few weeks for radio of the year. I, for one, already can't wait until January 2nd!

Last edited by RadioActive (December 15, 2023 3:41 pm)

December 15, 2023 4:13 pm  #2

Re: Silly Season Begins On Toronto Talk Radio

"Talent"

December 15, 2023 5:25 pm  #3

'It's the worst
Radio time of the year!
With re-rolls so boring,
And paid-time so whoring,
I'll cry in my beer...
It's the worst Radio time of the year!'

Last edited by Walter (December 15, 2023 5:36 pm)

December 20, 2023 9:13 am  #4

And so it begins. 

-Deb Hutton is replacing Jerry Agar on CFRB.
-Reshmi Nair continues to have substitute hosts, mostly Mark Towhey, with John Tory thrown in on occasion.
-Greg Brady has gone away, with Ben Mulroney taking his place.
-And John Oakley's air chair will be occupied until Christmas by Anthony Furey. 

And those are just the ones I'm aware of. 

Most of these people are taking early vacations, since the holiday doesn't technically start until Sunday night, Christmas Eve. But it's going to be a long few weeks, especially for talk radio. I'm not looking forward to all the "best-ofs," substitutes and special programming that's coming our way. 

640 will almost assuredly do their annual old time radio shows on the holiday, which at least is in the spirit of the format. CFRB has traditionally abandoned their audience and just plays Xmas songs for about 72 hours. The same thing you can get on any FM station - and in stereo!

And when I turn on the radio this weekend? It will almost surely be Funny 820! I will miss them when the new owner inevitably changes the format.

December 20, 2023 11:18 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

And so it begins. 
And when I turn on the radio this weekend? It will almost surely be Funny 820! I will miss them when the new owner inevitably changes the format.

I don't know what to wish for. If they do go back to Country music it'll just be digital storage radio anyway...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 20, 2023 11:53 am  #6

The BBC Sounds app has many great alternatives .

December 20, 2023 4:37 pm  #7

Here's a strange coincidence that I'm not sure has ever happened before.

John Tory is subbing for Reshmi Nair on CFRB. 

Anthony Furey is taking John Oakley's spot on AM640.

So a former mayor is on against a guy who wanted to replace him in that office. 

Only in Toronto talk radio! 

December 21, 2023 1:05 am  #8

As I have said before the irony of re-rolling the conversation complaining about re-rolls every single long weekend and holiday season seems to be lost on you.
We know.
You say the same thing over and over. Go talk to your family for a few days and you’ll be fine.

December 21, 2023 10:22 am  #9

Looks like fans of Old Time Radio will be out of luck this year. AM640 is running a promo inviting listeners to join them for non-stop Christmas music during the holidays. Which means both major Toronto talkers will be running music over the holidays instead, oh, I don't know, talk programming...

Guess consistency is no longer a thing in radio.

December 21, 2023 10:57 am  #10

Tomas Barlow wrote:

As I have said before the irony of re-rolling the conversation complaining about re-rolls every single long weekend and holiday season seems to be lost on you.
We know.
You say the same thing over and over. Go talk to your family for a few days and you’ll be fine.

OK that is funny!

I guess what's lost on me is - what do you actually miss on AM talk radio (even during the regular weekday schedule) that you can't get elsewhere?  Try YouTube, podcasts, ANYTHING else.

I just don't get what is out there on radio that is SO compelling.  For example, and this is NO slight to Dan Freeman, but I watched this week how excited everyone on this forum got over Tarzan Dan being on Boom.  Now in fairness, I haven't listened, and I don't know if the show if VT'd, Comrex'ed or whatever, but five years ago, if someone mentioned that a show on a GTA was being hosted by someone out west, it would've been considered a travesty.  Now it seems halfway exciting.  Has the bar been lowered that much?  Is this what we expect from radio?

Every now and then, I'll tune in to a 1010 roundtable, and I just sigh.  Same people, same topics, always politics or city council.  Nobody younger than 40 cares about that stuff.  And you can only stay with a topic for so long because you need to get into another stopset.

I know I sound a tad Irvine-esque about this, but once you explore other media, you're left wondering what it is about radio today that is so compelling.  To add insult to injury, long time radio people who have persevered and manged to stay in the business, start saying that people with my mindset are hating on radio.  They say "It's as good as it ever was. you just have to roll with the change."  Then those same people go on about how station Christmas parties used to be way better, and complain about how cheap management now is.  They complain about the massive cutbacks (and so they should - it is sad), but this doesn't sound like joy to me.

Just makes me shake my head.  It really does.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 21, 2023 12:19 pm  #11

I agree Jody there isn't always much overly compelling on radio, but I still enjoy listening .  In terms of Tarzan Dan, I haven't heard his show on BOOM either but the fact it is done out west is irrelevant, even five years ago it wouldn't matter.  He certainly would not move back to Toronto just to do a weekend show.  It's just great that Dan is back on Toronto radio, even if only on the weekend. We are assuming his show is voice tracked.  It could be live from XL 103 in Calgary.  Doubtful but still possible. 

December 21, 2023 12:31 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

We are assuming his show is voice tracked.  It could be live from XL 103 in Calgary.  Doubtful but still possible. 

It is live

December 21, 2023 12:37 pm  #13

In answer to Jody's post, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way. I really don't have the patience to search for a podcast that interests me, although I'm sure there are plenty that would. It's almost like there's too much choice, which just makes it more like work than pleasure. 

In addition, I like live and local. along with updated news. Stuff that affects the place I live. Podcasts don't provide that and that may be why they aren't that attractive to me. As for why I prefer radio itself, I just happen to have a great portable that I use when I walk the dog - which I do up to 4 times a day. Just easier to grab it and go. Finding something on it is a challenge sometimes. 

Even when we get to null periods like the Christmas holidays, I still have to take him out. Sometimes, he likes going for up to an hour. That's a long way to stroll in silence. So radio is my other companion during those sojourns. But  when it's used as a loss leader by big companies like Bell and Rogers, which has pretty much decimated them and have proven they could care less about what's on them, it bugs me. They may be off on vacation for the next two weeks, but I'm not. And when they no longer deliver on their proverbial programming promise, I feel let down.

You and I both know radio can be a lot better. And that's why it bugs me so much when it's not. 

I'm aware many here will disagree. But hey, at least my dog loves me, so I have that. Maybe we should let him program a station. How much worse could it be? (Although an hour on Alpo might be a but too much...)

December 21, 2023 12:52 pm  #14

Jody Thornton wrote:

I know I sound a tad Irvine-esque     

"Irvine-esque" ? ? ? 

December 21, 2023 2:08 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

In answer to Jody's post, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way. I really don't have the patience to search for a podcast that interests me, although I'm sure there are plenty that would. It's almost like there's too much choice, which just makes it more like work than pleasure. 

In addition, I like live and local. along with updated news. Stuff that affects the place I live. Podcasts don't provide that and that may be why they aren't that attractive to me. As for why I prefer radio itself, I just happen to have a great portable that I use when I walk the dog - which I do up to 4 times a day. Just easier to grab it and go. Finding something on it is a challenge sometimes. 

Even when we get to null periods like the Christmas holidays, I still have to take him out. Sometimes, he likes going for up to an hour. That's a long way to stroll in silence. So radio is my other companion during those sojourns. But  when it's used as a loss leader by big companies like Bell and Rogers, which has pretty much decimated them and have proven they could care less about what's on them, it bugs me. They may be off on vacation for the next two weeks, but I'm not. And when they no longer deliver on their proverbial programming promise, I feel let down.

You and I both know radio can be a lot better. And that's why it bugs me so much when it's not. 

I'm aware many here will disagree. But hey, at least my dog loves me, so I have that. Maybe we should let him program a station. How much worse could it be? (Although an hour on Alpo might be a but too much...)

Podcasts are often less than 8 hours old. All of the daily news podcasts in Canada from the CBC, Rogers and the Globe are produced in the early evening and uploaded by 4 am. Dave Trafford’s podcast is uploaded immediately after it’s recorded. Also, everything is categorized and easily searchable. Don’t like commercials? Most of the talk shows discussed here are uploaded with limited commercials shortly after they air. It’s also pause-able and you can replay anything you don’t catch the first time you hear it.
Want current news? CBC, 680, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox News, AP, BBC and many other outlets upload newscasts every hour or every 30 minutes.
680 Traffic?  It’s available every 10 minutes right after it airs.
680 Sports? Uploaded every half hour roughly 30 times a day.
It’s everything that makes radio great minus the commercials delivered to your device for listening when you want it. Don’t like something? Skip it.
Ten minutes would change your listening habits for the better if you put in the effort.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 21, 2023 2:15 pm)

December 21, 2023 3:12 pm  #16

After weeks away, it is pretty clear that Nair is not returning to the Resh.  The substitute hosts have been (with the exception of Tory) a welcome relief.  Will they wait until the new year to announce her replacement, or will they just toss her on the pyre with Doyle and MacArthur and hope that nobody notices she's gone?

December 21, 2023 6:12 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

I agree Jody there isn't always much overly compelling on radio, but I still enjoy listening .  In terms of Tarzan Dan, I haven't heard his show on BOOM either but the fact it is done out west is irrelevant, even five years ago it wouldn't matter.  He certainly would not move back to Toronto just to do a weekend show.  It's just great that Dan is back on Toronto radio, even if only on the weekend. We are assuming his show is voice tracked.  It could be live from XL 103 in Calgary.  Doubtful but still possible. 

FYI - Tarzan Dan is live on boom.

December 21, 2023 6:25 pm  #18

Jody Thornton wrote:

I know I sound a tad Irvine-esque about this, but 

Well played.  You certainly didn't miss your mark on that one.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 21, 2023 6:42 pm  #19

ig wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I know I sound a tad Irvine-esque about this, but 

Well played.  You certainly didn't miss your mark on that one.  

Now that's funny 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 21, 2023 6:43 pm  #20

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Podcasts are often less than 8 hours old. All of the daily news podcasts in Canada from the CBC, Rogers and the Globe are produced in the early evening and uploaded by 4 am. Dave Trafford’s podcast is uploaded immediately after it’s recorded. Also, everything is categorized and easily searchable. Don’t like commercials? Most of the talk shows discussed here are uploaded with limited commercials shortly after they air. It’s also pause-able and you can replay anything you don’t catch the first time you hear it.
Want current news? CBC, 680, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox News, AP, BBC and many other outlets upload newscasts every hour or every 30 minutes.
680 Traffic? It’s available every 10 minutes right after it airs.
680 Sports? Uploaded every half hour roughly 30 times a day.
It’s everything that makes radio great minus the commercials delivered to your device for listening when you want it. Don’t like something? Skip it.
Ten minutes would change your listening habits for the better if you put in the effort.

Well RA should be able to like what he likes.  But in every other respect, BINGO!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 21, 2023 8:21 pm  #21

Keep in mind, sports is in full gear, with the NFL playing a full Sunday set of games and on Monday there are 3 games. The NBA's lights are on with a few matches too on Christmas day...Plus on Boxing day, the World Junior Cup (hockey) begins...Go Team Canada.

Both the FAN and TSN 1050 will have some form of live coverage, just no local (daily) shows will be aired on the 23rd. 24th, 25th and 26th.

But tons of live games to keep you occupied and away from the family as you watch! 

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (December 21, 2023 8:23 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 21, 2023 10:16 pm  #22

On the subject of rerolls (as I'm not sure this merits its own topic)...

Why are radio rerolls perceived as "so evil"? From where does the vitriol stem?

I'm willing to bet you've all seen a movie multiple times...I'm sure some of you will remember Stafford's frequent "which movie, when you see it on television, do you now have to sit and watch the rest of it?"

I know I've got a few movies like that; I stumble upon them some Saturday afternoon and now I'm going nowhere until the end.

Likewise with a favourite record...I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard Abbey Road, and yet I know I'll listen to it again and am regularly in the mood to do just that.

And how many times have you watched a rerun episode of this or that tv show?

Not to get all Seindfeld-ian here but, what's the deal with reroll being so abhorrent? Why is radio exempt from ever having a replay?

December 21, 2023 10:41 pm  #23

Binson Echorec wrote:

On the subject of rerolls (as I'm not sure this merits its own topic)...

Why are radio rerolls perceived as "so evil"? From where does the vitriol stem?

I'm willing to bet you've all seen a movie multiple times...I'm sure some of you will remember Stafford's frequent "which movie, when you see it on television, do you now have to sit and watch the rest of it?"

I know I've got a few movies like that; I stumble upon them some Saturday afternoon and now I'm going nowhere until the end.

Likewise with a favourite record...I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard Abbey Road, and yet I know I'll listen to it again and am regularly in the mood to do just that.

And how many times have you watched a rerun episode of this or that tv show?

Not to get all Seindfeld-ian here but, what's the deal with reroll being so abhorrent? Why is radio exempt from ever having a replay?

They can be annoying to hear after a major event has happened. Ie. “Later today the Bank of Canada will set its interest rate. Here to discuss it, we have a panel…” Meanwhile the bank set the interest rate 6 hours ago and half of the panelists are wrong. But my question is how people don’t deviate from their Monday to Friday weekday routine even on Christmas Day. I don’t expect Vassy to be sitting in a studio in Ottawa on Christmas Day speculating on whether Trudeau is going to run in the next election while her children open gifts at home. There are 51 other weeks for that.
This is the time of year where I sample podcasts or listen to episodes of the shows that I missed recently. No big deal.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 21, 2023 10:43 pm)

December 22, 2023 7:01 pm  #24

Tomas Barlow wrote:

They can be annoying to hear after a major event has happened. Ie. “Later today the Bank of Canada will set its interest rate. Here to discuss it, we have a panel…” Meanwhile the bank set the interest rate 6 hours ago

That's fair - I feel reroll should be evergreen/timeless or be "big" (read: interesting) enough to hear again. As long as it's worthwhile, I don't see the problem. Maybe if I like what I hear in a reroll, I'll try the live version.

and half of the panelists are wrong.

Aren't they always lol?

But my question is how people don’t deviate from their Monday to Friday weekday routine even on Christmas Day. I don’t expect Vassy to be sitting in a studio in Ottawa on Christmas Day speculating on whether Trudeau is going to run in the next election while her children open gifts at home. There are 51 other weeks for that.
This is the time of year where I sample podcasts or listen to episodes of the shows that I missed recently. No big deal.

This is a sensible approach - find something else lol.

December 22, 2023 7:20 pm  #25

David Marsden's NY the spirit will be featuring his annual Christmas romp, live to air if you're looking for something to listen too online. 

He has been hosting the live Christmas eve show since his early days at CFNY and when he went to the Rock in Oshawa, the legend continued.

Here is more. 

https://www.facebook.com/nythespirit/

Plus on Christmas Day, Darrin Laidman used to host live as well, he is now on 102.9's the Bounce and I wouldn't be surprised if he does some on air duty Christmas Day.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/hamilton/shows/the-darrin-laidman-show-1.15179420

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 24, 2023 1:48 pm  #26

Stations have always broken format and altered programming at Christmas.  Here is CHUM from 1962 promoting the fact they were all Christmas music from 12 noon Monday, and all during Christmas Day which was on Tuesday that year.  Consistency of format isn't always a "thing" over the holiday season. 

Also working at CHYM radio at Christmas as a student in 1976, we had almost no news, and all Christmas music, stories and special programming over three days.  Same in 1980 with CFPL radio.

December 24, 2023 4:44 pm  #27

Not really relevant what CHUM did in 1962. That's 61 years ago. I don't think there's anyone in radio doing the same thing they used to do six decades earlier. If so, I can't see them being a success.

But one thing hasn't changed. To me - and to almost all of the program directors I've ever worked for - consistency is the #1 Commandment. Thou shalt be what listeners expect - always, 24/7/365. 

This is what drives me crazy in 640's decision to run all-Christmas music on Dec. 25th. They have endlessly promoted themselves as a news/talk station. To suddenly abandon that, even for 24 hours - especially when you can get the same music in stereo on CHFI and other places - is a middle finger to what small loyal audience they may have. 

Those wanting talk will tune them out. Those looking for music won't even know they're playing it. So what's the point?

I would not turn on CHUM-FM and expect to hear opera. And if Classical 96.3 suddenly started playing Merle Haggard, I would be horribly confused.

It's one of the things that bugs me about AM740. Sometimes on the weekend, I feel like hearing music. But turn them on Saturday morning and you get hours and hours of talk programming, most of it paid time. That's not why I'm listening to them and if they don't serve up what this member of their audience is expecting, I'm gone - and generally, I don't come back. 

It's almost as if these PDs or GMs are saying, 'it's only 24 hours (actually more like over a week before regular programming resumes), everyone's off, we don't want to pay anyone extra time, there's no one listening anyway, so rather than come up with something clever that can fill airtime and still satisfy our regular audience, we just give up.'

What a sad commentary on the creativity of those running these stations. Not worth the time or the money. I can't speak to the money. But these next 24-48 hours sure won't be worth my time. 

And consider this - an increasingly large portion of the GTHA population doesn't even celebrate Christmas. There are Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and even atheists to whom this is just another day. PDs are abandoning all of them, as well. 

Odd as it seems, after reading that rant, I can honestly say I have nothing against Christmas - it's a wonderfully magic holiday - or the music associated with it. What I'm against is only Christmas music 24 hours a day on almost every outlet. I wonder what the reaction would be if every station suddenly started playing only "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel" and similar songs on the 8-days of Channukah. You couldn't change the dial fast enough. But there'd be nowhere to go.

I know I'm probably alone in this, and that's fine. You do you.

It's the lack of format consistency and creativity I decry. And the abandonment of the formatics. 

Which is why I'm really going to miss Funny 820 next year!

December 24, 2023 4:52 pm  #28

I agree, in theory, about the importance of consistency for a brand. For media, it's especially important in these days of infinite niche availability.

It wouldn't make sense for my favourite Fish N Chips joint to only serve tacos for a week.

However, I wouldn't fault the Fish N Chips place for being closed for a few days over the holidays.

That's what 640 and 1010 playing Christmas Music is: a sign on the door saying "see you in 2024." 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 24, 2023 4:53 pm)

December 24, 2023 5:30 pm  #29

True, but I would argue that if your store is closed, you can't go there.

Technically, 640 and 1010 are still "open" because they're on the air. Like your restaurant, I would expect them to serve the same menu regardless of the time of year. But every Christmas, they don't. There must be something they can do to be true to their format and their audience and still acknowledge the holiday. 

But playing music is just easier than having to come up with something creative to fill the time while still paying homage to such an important holiday. 

December 24, 2023 5:46 pm  #30

Here's another example I just remembered of how to fill that time. Many years ago, before Rogers got its mitts on the Fan 590, there used to be no real sports on Christmas Eve and Xmas Day.(Now there's basketball and football.) And there were no real syndicated American sports networks, per se, that they could run on autopilot. So they were left to their own devices. 

Somehow playing Christmas music on an all-sports station just didn't seem right. 

So what do to when the one subject that you based your whole existence on comes to a grinding halt? They used to replay the entire Blue Jays playoff and World Series games from 1992 and 1993, filling the time with those magical weeks when the Jays were on top of the baseball world.

It was great to hear Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth one more time, in what was inarguably the greatest moments of their broadcasting careers. And hearing about the players on both of those teams was incredible. I remember listening to much of it on Dec. 24 and Dec. 25th, and it brought back those championship years like few things ever could. It was great nostalgia radio, doing what they called "our Christmas present to you." 

And with everyone else playing the same endless Xmas tunes over and over and over, it was terrific. Now that is how you fill the airtime when you have nothing else. I still remember the replay fondly.