sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2023 1:32 pm  #1

CFTO Chopper

Yesterday I heard a helicopter over midtown Toronto and assumed it must be covering something important that early in the morning (9 - 10 am).   The thing is loud enough to wake the dead and only 2 weeks ago it was on the scene at Mt. Pleasant / Davisville for a fatal tragic accident involving a pedestrian in a mobility device and a dump truck.  

This time it was covering a story to do with how a condo at Yonge / Balmoral applied to block lanes on Yonge plus bike lanes and sidewalks for 3 years for their staging area (read parking lot) and worked with the councillor to avoid it.    It's also replacing a 30 year-old medical building but that's for another day.    

Well, I tuned in and there it was, the wrong intersection and area and a stupid story about the condo!  Hardly a big deal.  They couldn't even get their directions right and would have been better served using a drone.  The real problem is the noise level.   These 'casual' one-off loud noises add up and are a big annoyance.   It must be really bad for shift workers.   At least the city is currently dealing with new noise laws coming down the pipe, maybe one for news choppers will be on it.

I wonder why they are wasting their money on this chopper anyway?  The police use drones, and news choppers seem to be just a gimmick for news coverage and for traffic conditions that rarely differ day-to-day.  

BTW, a few months ago a news chopper had mechanical problems and had to set down in nearby David Balfour park.   It was there for 2 days.   

I'm just glad the cops don't have one too.   Imagine the noise then.   I hear it's really bad in LA where they have a couple of them.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (December 14, 2023 2:02 pm)

December 14, 2023 1:50 pm  #2

Re: CFTO Chopper

It's the sound of freedom.

December 14, 2023 2:06 pm  #3

YMCA wrote:

It's the sound of freedom.

Could be.   Nice Apocalypse Now reference!

Premier Buck-a-Beer just announced an overdue change to booze distribution and I'm expecting a chopper any minute now to be hovering low over the Summerhill LCBO. 

Last edited by SpinningWheel (December 14, 2023 2:11 pm)

December 14, 2023 3:02 pm  #4

CFTO/CP24 uses the chopper a lot more than just for traffic.  Both Global and City seem to relegate it only for traffic, and Rogers a bit for hockey games and not much else.  CTV uses their chopper for commercial shoots, TV programming and promos. They had their helicopter over Ivor Wynn stadium for the Grey Cup in addition to drone cameras. 

I agree that news choppers really aren't necessary with the advent of drones. Drone cameras are more nimble and often have a sharper picture.  Only limitation of the drone would be that they can't handle as much wind or bad weather as the helicopters. CTV Kitchener has a drone camera that they use during the news occasionally. 

December 14, 2023 3:35 pm  #5

:"Get to the choppah!"
Arnold -- "Predator."