sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2023 7:48 am  #1

Sarah Ritchie byline

I know not radio or tv connected but an almost identical story about a disabled veteran was published in both Toronto Sun and Toronto Star today with the same byline Sarah Ritchie from CP.

I wonder how often this happens with competing media

December 10, 2023 8:26 am  #2

Re: Sarah Ritchie byline

This happens all the time and in fact is one of the reasons for the Canadian Press' existence. It used to be a non-profit, but after issues with its pension plan, it was taken over as a for-profit service by, among others, The Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail. Other radio, TV stations and newspapers can buy the service and most have it.

So they're pretty much all free to publish whatever they want from it, with the advantage that they don't have to assign reporters (i.e. pay someone) to cover a story, while allowing them coverage across the country in places where they don't have any staff. 

You'll see its material on most online news sites and newspapers, including The Star, The Globe, The Sun, The National Post and smaller entities across the country. It's great filler they wouldn't have access to any other way. Radio stations use it to bolster their local newscasts (including taking their hourly radio news on the weekends and at night so they don't have to hire anyone to fill a shift) while others, like CityNews 680, just take their voicers to augment their own local broadcasts. (Which is why the same newscast often turns up on both CFRB and AM 640 at the same time.)

And that's why Ms. Ritchie will turn up on hundreds of papers and sites across the country. They bought it and they're all going to use it to expand their coverage. It's the only way some small paper in Shediac, New Brunswick would have access to a story in, say, Victoria. And without it, we'd all be less informed.