sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 12:00 pm  #1

How The Twilight Zone Used TV To Mourn The Death Of Radio

I remember the episode referred to in this story very well, and I can only wonder what a remake of this show would do today? Perhaps that radio would get the original 1050 CHUM or 93 KHJ?

"Static" came out of discussions [writer Charles] Beaumont had with Ritch at a party held by fellow legendary sci-fi writer (and "Twilight Zone" scribe) Richard Matheson. According to the guidebook "The Twilight Zone Companion," Ritch was reminiscing about the radio and ended up writing a story called "Tune In Yesterday" about a radio that broadcast from the past. Beaumont encouraged Ritch to submit the story to the show, and then he ended up adapting it, incorporating many of his own additions to fill out the episode's runtime.

How The Twilight Zone Used TV To Mourn The Death Of Radio

December 3, 2023 12:54 pm  #2

Re: How The Twilight Zone Used TV To Mourn The Death Of Radio

A great episode that illustrated the "magic" of radio.

December 3, 2023 1:56 pm  #3

The entire episode isn't available free on YouTube, unfortunately. But in checking to see, I discovered something I never knew about this particular show: the voice of the announcer coming out of that Twilight Zone radio is none other than Bob Crane, then a very popular DJ on KNX in Los Angeles and later to be the star of Hogan's Heroes. 

As we know, his life did not end well, but it's a great piece of trivia to hear his voice in the clip. I have to admit, I would never have recognized him. 

December 4, 2023 1:08 am  #4

This entire episode of "Static" is available free on the amazing website "Uncle Earl's Classic TV. As an old time radio fan and classic TV fan, this episode covers both interests for me.

December 4, 2023 5:08 am  #5

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 4, 2023 7:56 am  #6

Great! Thanks for the links. I haven't seen this episode in a long time.

December 4, 2023 11:21 am  #7

If the actor looks familiar he should. We see him every year in White Christmas.

White Christmas (1954)Dean Jagger: Major General Thomas F. Waverly

Last edited by fyshtalk (December 4, 2023 11:24 am)

December 27, 2023 10:59 am  #8

I'm not sure I agree with every one of their rankings, but it's hard to argue against #1, which I believe is the quintessential episode of this great show. 

‘The Twilight Zone’ Top 15 Episodes of All-Time, Ranked