sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2023 1:05 am  #1

How Soon Is Too Soon To Promo The Super Bowl?

I've been watching a few shows on CBS this past week and I've noticed they're doing something that seems a bit over the top. At the end of every show - every show! - they do a kind of split screen over the end credits, reminding people there are 96 or 93 days until the Super Bowl airs. 

This has been going on for a few weeks and as of Thursday night, it was down to 80 days. It appears they intend to continue with this shameless countdown until the day before it actually airs.  

Look, I get the importance of the contest - it's almost always the single biggest viewing event of the year and it rakes in millions of dollars in advertising. But promoing it more than three months ahead? That just seems excessive to me. At least wait until January or the end of December when it's a little closer.

This is the earliest promo for any TV event I can ever recall. It would be like advertising Christmas is coming - but in early June. Or going all Christmas on the radio in early November - oh, er, wait a second...

But really, when is too soon too much?

November 24, 2023 7:37 am  #2

Re: How Soon Is Too Soon To Promo The Super Bowl?

RadioActive wrote:

I've been watching a few shows on CBS this past week and I've noticed they're doing something that seems a bit over the top. At the end of every show - every show! - they do a kind of split screen over the end credits, reminding people there are 96 or 93 days until the Super Bowl airs. 

This has been going on for a few weeks and as of Thursday night, it was down to 80 days. It appears they intend to continue with this shameless countdown until the day before it actually airs.  

Look, I get the importance of the contest - it's almost always the single biggest viewing event of the year and it rakes in millions of dollars in advertising. But promoing it more than three months ahead? That just seems excessive to me. At least wait until January or the end of December when it's a little closer.

This is the earliest promo for any TV event I can ever recall. It would be like advertising Christmas is coming - but in early June. Or going all Christmas on the radio in early November - oh, er, wait a second...

But really, when is too soon too much?

Oh that's nothing. NBC has been promoting next summer's Olympic Games since ... last summer!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram