sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2023 2:12 pm  #1

AM Radio - EV auto makers getting set to pull the plug

Spoken about on this board ad nauseam because many of the 'yelling at clouds' crowd that plays here listens to AM talk religiously in their vehicles..

From Automotive News

Keeping AM radio in EVs could cost automakers $3.8 billion, report says

The Center for Automotive Research found that reducing the electromagnetic interference generated by EVs, which can distort AM radio signals, 'could lead to added costs for vehicle manufacturers.'

WASHINGTON — Keeping AM radio in new vehicles, including electric models, could cost automakers billions of dollars over the next seven years, according to a new report from the Center for Automotive Research.

In the October report, developed in partnership with the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, researchers found that reducing the electromagnetic interference generated by EVs, which can distort AM radio signals, is "challenging and could lead to added costs for vehicle manufacturers."

Through 2030, automakers could face a cumulative cost of up to $3.8 billion to address the interference that disrupts AM radio reception in EVs, according to the report.

Automakers can reduce — but not eliminate — the interference with design and engineering options such as shielding cables, interference filters, active noise cancellation and a strategic placement of components. But that comes at a cost, including added weight to the vehicle and shortened battery range.

One automaker that spoke to the center's researchers estimated shielding costs of $35 to $50 and filtering costs of $15 to $20 per vehicle.

"These costs can be avoided by deleting analog AM radio from vehicles and providing consumers with alternative products for in-vehicle audio content," such as digital AM and FM radio, streaming and satellite services, researchers found.

November 8, 2023 2:41 pm  #2

Re: AM Radio - EV auto makers getting set to pull the plug

Seems as though you missed this thread from early this morning.

November 8, 2023 6:29 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

True - however I think his last sentence is what's key.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 8, 2023 6:38 pm  #4

Jody Thornton wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

True - however I think his last sentence is what's key. 

Here's that last sentence:

"These costs can be avoided by deleting analog AM radio from vehicles and providing consumers with alternative products for in-vehicle audio content," such as digital AM and FM radio, streaming and satellite services, researchers found."

Sounds good, but my question would be - if the only way to get AM is all digital, will there still be any AM stations left in business to listen to?

November 8, 2023 6:57 pm  #5

No RA - eventually there won't be.  It's simply becoming uneconomical to keep that band going.  And certainly the decline of the band will be exacerbated by EVs not incorporating the radios required.

But if the performance is lousy, why spend the unreasonable amount of money to improve performance? (even if there's an exaggeration of those figures?)  Demand is waning, the band is noisy at best, and the programming is milquetoast.  There are definite talents, like John Moore who I would rather see greater success perhaps on FM or digital platforms.  Plus there are formats like all-news that still work, but for how long?

As the avid AM fan (which I think you told us once that you enjoy for the content; not for the sake of the band - if I misquoted or misunderstood, please correct me RA), what is problematic about adopting HD radio and listening to AM outlets on the sidebands?  What about streaming AM stations?  Would that not satisfy your need for the content?

I hope you're not buying into the American-centric mindset of AM being there in a nuclear disaster or the like.  Keeping a dying, money losing band on life support, just in the event that a disaster strategy can make AM shine one day, does not make good business sense, does it?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 8, 2023 8:23 pm  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

No RA - eventually there won't be.  It's simply becoming uneconomical to keep that band going.  And certainly the decline of the band will be exacerbated by EVs not incorporating the radios required.

But if the performance is lousy, why spend the unreasonable amount of money to improve performance? (even if there's an exaggeration of those figures?)  Demand is waning, the band is noisy at best, and the programming is milquetoast.  There are definite talents, like John Moore who I would rather see greater success perhaps on FM or digital platforms.  Plus there are formats like all-news that still work, but for how long?

As the avid AM fan (which I think you told us once that you enjoy for the content; not for the sake of the band - if I misquoted or misunderstood, please correct me RA), what is problematic about adopting HD radio and listening to AM outlets on the sidebands?  What about streaming AM stations?  Would that not satisfy your need for the content?

I hope you're not buying into the American-centric mindset of AM being there in a nuclear disaster or the like.  Keeping a dying, money losing band on life support, just in the event that a disaster strategy can make AM shine one day, does not make good business sense, does it?

I'm not necessarily an AM fan, I just don't find anything on FM that interests me. How many stations do you need playing the latest Taylor Swift record? I find them boring or not serving my needs, although I like a few - Boom, The Grand and very occasionally, something on Radio 1. 

Frankly, if you're not in the mood for music, what difference does it make which "band" you strike up? I'll listen to the format that suits me, regardless of where it is on the dial.

Of course, the hosts vary in talent. I find John Moore does a good job in the morning, and I would hate to think there would not be room for some kind of talk on FM. But really, with the jammed FM dial, where to put it? Change Virgin to NewsTalk99.9? Unlikely. So you're basically dooming the format for those who enjoy it. 

I have no objection to HD radio, but there are not exactly a lot of portable units out there. And I don't relish replacing the what - 9 or 10 radios I have in my house so I can get HD. It was bad enough when HDTV came out and obsoleted almost everyone's set in the space of a year or so.

Plus, if you think competing in a market where so many over-the-air outlets are already available, try doing it with a system over the web where there are literally millions of choices. Goodbye business case. 

As for the disaster argument, no it's not the main reason to keep AM around. But the fact remains it can be invaluable in the middle of a thankfully rare disaster. Just ask the folks who had no electricity out east when the hurricane struck and the power was out for days and days. Or the folks on the far flung parishes near New Orleans who tuned in 50K clear channel WWL during Katrina. Some were out of FM's more limited range and their phone batteries had long since died. But everyone with a battery-operated transistor could get AM 870 and for them, it was a lifeline. 

And one last thing - I will never, ever understand why this issue seems to make so many on this board angry and even abusive. It's really, really simple. I grew up with AM and I'm used to it. If I choose to listen to AM radio, what difference does it make to anyone else? Why does that bother you as long as I don't force my choices on your presets?

I'm not asking anyone else to turn their dial to the stations I like. Listen to what you enjoy. I promise, I won't lose a moment's sleep over it. But if I do, I can always turn on the radio overnight.

To an AM station, of course. 

November 8, 2023 9:20 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

And one last thing - I will never, ever understand why this issue seems to make so many on this board angry and even abusive. It's really, really simple. I grew up with AM and I'm used to it. If I choose to listen to AM radio, what difference does it make to anyone else? Why does that bother you as long as I don't force my choices on your presets?

I'm not asking anyone else to turn their dial to the stations I like. Listen to what you enjoy. I promise, I won't lose a moment's sleep over it. But if I do, I can always turn on the radio overnight.

There's a lot more I want to answer to RA, but I just wanted to make sure of this one point because it matters most.   I wouldn't want you to feel that I am expressing anger to you, or that I'm attempting to act abusively towards you in any way.  If you're feeling that way, then I should look back at what I've said to see if there was a better way to express it.  Maybe I should have thought it out better, and I was just passionate in my view.  I do apologize if you felt attacked, because it definitely was not my intent here.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 8, 2023 9:32 pm  #8

How do the auto makers get away with building a product that emits that much noise?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 8, 2023 10:27 pm  #9

Jody Thornton wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

There's a lot more I want to answer to RA, but I just wanted to make sure of this one point because it matters most.   I wouldn't want you to feel that I am expressing anger to you, or that I'm attempting to act abusively towards you in any way.  If you're feeling that way, then I should look back at what I've said to see if there was a better way to express it.  Maybe I should have thought it out better, and I was just passionate in my view.  I do apologize if you felt attacked, because it definitely was not my intent here.

Actually, it was nothing you said. It was a previous poster who essentially inferred something about an old man not accepting the future etc. Normally that kind of stuff doesn't bother me, but for some reason this one did, because it seems to inflame people that I prefer the AM band.

That doesn't make me wrong or out of touch. I simply find that programming more to my liking and I go to the place where I can hear it. And there's not a single reason why it should bother anyone. If it was on FM, I'd go there.

I don't tend to judge people because they listen and love a station that I don't care for. What a silly reason to criticize someone. 

Why that seems to get people's dander up is beyond me. I believe in live and let live. It's baffling to me why others sometimes don't, in the words of the Fab Four, "Let It Be." Which I'll admit is a hit that sounds better on FM...