sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2023 9:24 am  #1

Radio secret kept for 60 years

It’s designated as the “Birthplace of Silicon Valley”, a tiny house in Palo Alto where students Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard became the first “two guys in a garage” to launch an influential tech company, setting the stage for others to follow like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

In 2000, HP CEO Carly Fiorina bought the buildings and had a conservation team restore and preserve it back to 1938, removing anything modern and looking for old wallpaper or paint that could be conserved and returning old artifacts such as vacuum tubes and tools to make it a museum experience.
 They were shocked to find, hidden in te walls, an antenna system that coiled up to the ceiling, into the rafters, and up onto the roof and soon realized it was part of Bill’s HAM radio set up.

When he and Dave moved out, they simply left it installeed and for sixty  years none of the new owners noticed. I wonder if it still works?

Have you left amy traces of your hobbies in the houses you've lived in? 

I recently had the chance to visit the HP Garage and you can see my photos here:
https://krisabel.com/?p=6772

November 7, 2023 10:32 am  #2

Re: Radio secret kept for 60 years

I may have left some wire in the attic of my parents house as I too was a Ham radio enthusiast 

Thanks for sharing Kris