sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2023 9:11 pm  #1

Bob McCown: "I Really Would Like To Be Normal, Or Close To Normal.”

The former Fan 590 star has been recuperating from a series of strokes and worries he may never be back to what he was. The 71-year-old now has trouble walking, even getting up is an effort, he's often lonely and worst of all, his speech hasn't completely come back, and he fears it never will. 

It may be the cruelest punishment of all for a man who spent most of his life talking behind a microphone. 

How a series of strokes changed life for Bob McCown, who longs to be normal again: ‘It’s like a curse’

November 4, 2023 10:54 pm  #2

Re: Bob McCown: "I Really Would Like To Be Normal, Or Close To Normal.”

He is still smoking cigarettes??

November 4, 2023 11:06 pm  #3

It says in the article he's "down" to slightly less than a pack a day. 

November 5, 2023 8:55 am  #4

cash wrote:

He is still smoking cigarettes??

I was surprised at this too. However, I recognize it's (nicotine) a medical addiction so willpower alone is never sufficient and perhaps he sees it as one "creature comfort" he's allowed while he disintegrates otherwise. But I don't know more of a lifestyle/habit "wake up call" than this re: the smoking. As one commenter on RA's Toronto Star link wrote:

"It’s too bad the Drs didn’t drive home the smoking cause. Continuing to smoke, is setting him up for the ‘big one’. I can’t believe that he still is, yet recognizes the state his previous stroke left him in. Smoking and strokes go hand in hand."