sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2023 10:42 am  #1

Is Weekend Host Maggie John Still With AM640?

She's been hosting their weekend morning show since December of last year, but in the past month, there hasn't been a sign or a mention of Maggie John. Instead, the Saturday and Sunday 7-10 AM show has been the purview of rotating guests like Steve Paikin and Ben Mulroney. 

This coming Sunday, regular fill-in Anthony Furey will be in the chair, with again no mention of the original host. Her Twitter/X feed hasn't been updated since September and there's nothing about what happened to her. I was never crazy about her on-air shtick, which was a lot of PSA-type topics that weren't always all that interesting. And I think her replacements have been a lot more entertaining to listen to. 

But I'm curious to know if this is permanent or the result of some personal emergency. Will she ever be back? 

November 1, 2023 11:07 am  #2

Re: Is Weekend Host Maggie John Still With AM640?

Just checked her Linked In page. Under her time at Corus, it says, "Dec. 2022-Oct. 2023." That end date would appear to indicate she's no longer with the station. 

November 1, 2023 11:21 am  #3

I found her to be a pleasant and intelligent host, but her interviews and topics focus leaned heavily toward minority issues, which is fine, but label the show as such.

November 1, 2023 11:25 am  #4

I'm just hoping the powers-that-be at Corus don't decide they can live without a live weekend show and go back to rerolls. There isn't much on weekend mornings that is both live and local. (And don't forget that it's where Greg Brady got his start on the station, doing a weekend show before getting perhaps the biggest promotion of all, the drivetime morning show.)

November 5, 2023 9:04 am  #5

It seems that now Bendixen is in charge the minority voice is out in favour of just another interchangeable right wing white guy.  No surprise.

November 5, 2023 12:03 pm  #6

If that is the case then we need an explanation to why he hired this comrade to the progressive cause.

November 5, 2023 12:21 pm  #7

And I'm not sure if anyone would accuse Steve Paikin of being a right winger. 

November 5, 2023 5:50 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

And I'm not sure if anyone would accuse Steve Paikin of being a right winger. 

Really? You mean the guy who wrote a biography of Bill Davis that was so hagiographical it stopped just short of claiming that ole' Buttermilk Billy could walk on water and that his touch healed the lame and the sick?

November 5, 2023 6:19 pm  #9

I have no idea about his previous writing, but in his job at TVO (which certainly is not a right-leaning organization), he certainly doesn't come across as a guy with - you should pardon the expression - an Agenda.

November 5, 2023 6:21 pm  #10

Bill Davis was hardly a right winger.  He was in the middle, where most people usually are.  I find it interesting that some think that all conservatives just by existing are automatically right wing, even hard right.  Steve Paikin is the same, absolutely in the centre.  

November 5, 2023 6:32 pm  #11

Bill Davis was famous for saying "bland sells." And he managed to sell it for years. I'm not sure a hard right winger would have been able to do that. 

I wasn't that politically aware when he first ran for office, but I remember my father - who hated every politiican that ever lived - always used to say "Save us from Davis!"

For many years, voters didn't.

November 5, 2023 7:08 pm  #12

It seemed many liked Davis at Queen's Park and Trudeau in Ottawa.  I remember hearing that constantly in my youth.

Anyway, I won't veer off-topic. I will say that Steve Paikin is excellent at seemingly staying objective in his hosting when I watched him on The Agenda.  Seems right down the middle to me.  I guess in actuality, that's just part of being a fair, balanced journalist.

Last edited by Jody Thornton (November 5, 2023 7:08 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton