sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2023 3:07 pm  #1

Bell Adding 5:30 PM Edition Of CTV National News

So long to at least the last half hour simulcast of CP24 at 5:30 PM every night in Toronto. Bell Media has announced it's expanding its CTV National News with another edition, this one airing at 5:30 PM Eastern, starting Nov 13. 

It will be anchored by Sandie Rinaldo, who usually does the late night edition on weekends. The new show will be a lead-in to the local news in each market. It remains to be seen if Rinaldo will continue her Saturday and Sunday shifts, but it's doubtful - nobody can work seven days in a row without a break. But CTV did not name a possible replacement.

The network gets an hour jump on competitor Corus, which airs Global National at 6:30 PM every night.

It's kind of a surprising move for the network, after owner Bell went to the CRTC earlier this month asking for relief from its news and CanCon obligations, citing ongoing revenue issues. 

CTV National News Expands with Additional Broadcast Airing Weekdays at 5:30 p.m. ET

October 31, 2023 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Bell Adding 5:30 PM Edition Of CTV National News

Markets outside of Toronto have (had?) been running a local 5pm newscast, so presumably this is saving some money.

October 31, 2023 5:37 pm  #3

If Global really wanted to, they can revert to airing Global National at 5:30 ET, that's when the Atlantic edition of Global National goes out at 6:30 AT.

Interesting that CTV is jumping into this timeslot. In the west, Global National airs at 5:30 PM local, and is the #1 national news in Alberta and BC. 

Also, with this change, I wonder if that re-run of Global National at 11:30 PM is going to morph into a live national newscast. 

October 31, 2023 5:44 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

Also, with this change, I wonder if that re-run of Global National at 11:30 PM is going to morph into a live national newscast. 

That would cost money, which Corus is not in the position to do.

The 11:30 replay exists to  fill out the 6-Mid cancon requirement.

October 31, 2023 6:10 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Markets outside of Toronto have (had?) been running a local 5pm newscast, so presumably this is saving some money.

This is a smart move by CTV.  Good opportunity to promote the 11 newscast too.  I wonder if the local cast will continue at five and run for the half hour. CTV Kitchener had their two hour casts filled with local ads.

October 31, 2023 7:45 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I wonder if the local cast will continue at five and run for the half hour. CTV Kitchener had their two hour casts filled with local ads.

I'll be happy to be wrong, but I'd have to guess no.

Assume everything is a cost-cutting move at this point.

October 31, 2023 9:31 pm  #7

CTV Kitchener announced the change during their 6PM newscast. Said the local 5PM news would continue as a half hour program. I wonder how long before Sandie Rinaldo retires. She is in her early mid 70s. 

October 31, 2023 10:32 pm  #8

"The network says “CTV National News” is also providing segments to the early evening local newscasts on Saturdays and Sundays."

So does that mean the national newsroom will be producing national/world news segments for the local stations to air in their shows?

November 1, 2023 7:21 am  #9

FYI. Global national also goes out over Global Kingston and Peterborough at 5:30

November 1, 2023 11:27 am  #10

And don't forget these same reporters have to feed material to CTV News Channel if something big happens. So they're all tied together in the long run.

November 1, 2023 11:47 am  #11

I know a new weekend replacement for Sandi Rinaldo has not been announced but I would like to add my overpriced two cents worth.  I saw Heather Butts filling in last weekend or the weekend before and she was very good.  I got to know her while she was working in Barrie and followed her out east and then reporting for CTV.   I know she is quite young and has only been with the network for  short time but I have been very impressed.  She gets my vote.   In fact I would like to see her on the Mon.-Fri. anchor desk.  She is that good.

November 8, 2023 10:59 pm  #12

Why is CTV doing this?  To compete with Global National, even though they're on at different times?  Is there that much demand from their audience for more national and international stories during the supper period?  Or, are they spending more on news to meet a licence condition?

November 9, 2023 10:00 am  #13

Say goodbye to the CP24 simulcast. Broadcast Dialogue confirms Zuraidah Alman will be doing a new 5-5:30 PM local newscast on CFTO, to air in advance of the new early national show. She'll also retain her 11:30 PM anchor duties. 

The other question this raises is: since CP24 simulcasts CTV News at 6 with its over-the-air sister, will they also take both of these shows?

November 9, 2023 11:33 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Say goodbye to the CP24 simulcast. Broadcast Dialogue confirms Zuraidah Alman will be doing a new 5-5:30 PM local newscast on CFTO, to air in advance of the new early national show. She'll also retain her 11:30 PM anchor duties. 

The other question this raises is: since CP24 simulcasts CTV News at 6 with its over-the-air sister, will they also take both of these shows?

According to the TV guides, no. CP24 will still do their own 5 PM show.

EDIT: Bell's press release confirms that Live ar 5 will continue on CP24.
https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/ctv-news-toronto-adds-weekday-newscast-at-5-p-m-anchored-by-zuraidah-alman-beginning-november-13/

Last edited by ED1 (November 9, 2023 11:42 am)

November 9, 2023 11:47 am  #15

That's interesting to know. And it's probably better than two hours of simulcasting, although it does seem a bit of a waste to have the same station effectively doing two different local newscasts at the same time.

A long time ago, a CP24 employee told me that the main reason CP24 takes the CTV Toronto News at 6 is so that their crews can get an hour off for lunch. Otherwise those on air and behind the scenes are stuck without a break.  

November 14, 2023 6:59 pm  #16

This started on Monday but I was way too busy to remember to watch it.  Did anyone see it? 

November 14, 2023 10:18 pm  #17

I watched all of yesterday and most of today's newscast.  They have different theme music and use the CTV news set but from a different angle with Sandie at the end of the desk.

She is standing for the first segment and the last story with a large video screen behind her. Also interesting that there are a lot more people sitting behind her in the newsroom than what you see at 11pm.

So far it is alright, the whole package from what I have observed is fairly laid back. It will be interesting to see how they handle a big breaking news event, especially international stories. 

I actually like it better with the half hour of local news, CTV National and then the full hour of local at 6pm.  

November 15, 2023 12:16 am  #18

I have to admit I'm a bit curious about this. The show must have an east coast feed, which means it's done out of Toronto at 4:30 for the Maritimes, where it's an hour later.

If it's shown across the country, do they have to do an updated version for the west coast stations? Given the ongoing fragile state of the world, a lot can change in the three hours between 5:30 PM Eastern and 5:30 PM Pacific. 

Do they do a separate feed for them or do viewers there see three-hour old news that could conceivably be dated by then?

November 15, 2023 12:29 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

I have to admit I'm a bit curious about this. The show must have an east coast feed, which means it's done out of Toronto at 4:30 for the Maritimes, where it's an hour later.

If it's shown across the country, do they have to do an updated version for the west coast stations? Given the ongoing fragile state of the world, a lot can change in the three hours between 5:30 PM Eastern and 5:30 PM Pacific. 

Do they do a separate feed for them or do viewers there see three-hour old news that could conceivably be dated by then?

Monday's and Tuesday's shows can be see at link below (click on CTV News at 5:30  on left hand side):

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video#1.6630417

Last edited by Dale Patterson (November 15, 2023 12:31 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 15, 2023 12:31 pm  #20

Looks like CTV News Channel is running the 4:30 edition.  

November 15, 2023 5:35 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t update the 5:30 show in each time zone if something’s happening. They do it for the 11 PM show. Global National also updates their show for western viewers, so it would be a bad look if CTV didn’t do it.

November 18, 2023 7:34 pm  #22

I just noticed CTV's local Toronto news on the weekend is now doing an "international" block, with the local anchors throwing to a sort of mini-CTV National News anchored by Heather Butts. She handles international and cross-Canada stories, while Andria Case and Rahmi Ladhani do mostly local headlines.

She throws back to "your local news," which means it's airing across the country. What surprised me is how long it was - more than 10 minutes.

First time I've seen this on the weekend (Global has been doing something similar on their noon show for a while) and I'm guessing this is here to stay as part of their expansion of the national package. 

November 18, 2023 9:18 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

I just noticed CTV's local Toronto news on the weekend is now doing an "international" block, with the local anchors throwing to a sort of mini-CTV National News anchored by Heather Butts. She handles international and cross-Canada stories, while Andria Case and Rahmi Ladhani do mostly local headlines.

She throws back to "your local news," which means it's airing across the country. What surprised me is how long it was - more than 10 minutes.

First time I've seen this on the weekend (Global has been doing something similar on their noon show for a while) and I'm guessing this is here to stay as part of their expansion of the national package. 

Same with CTV London's 6PM newscast. It's a good thing that they are tweeking a bit of CTV's newscasts I hope they do this again.

November 19, 2023 12:31 am  #24

RadioActive wrote:

This sounds a bit like what Tom Clark used to do on the Baton-owned CTV affiliates (as well as CFPL which was also owned by Baton) in the mid-90s. His national/international report ran for 7-8 minutes around the 6:20pm mark of the local newscasts. Mike Duffy and some CJOH reporters often did the national stories from Ottawa.

November 19, 2023 4:27 am  #25

RadioActive wrote:

This is what I was wondering when the initial press release came out...

ED1 wrote:

"The network says “CTV National News” is also providing segments to the early evening local newscasts on Saturdays and Sundays."

So does that mean the national newsroom will be producing national/world news segments for the local stations to air in their shows?