sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2023 5:37 pm  #1

Hitting The Post: Great Sounding Or Too Old Fashioned?

In this wonderful blog about talking over the intro to hit records, consultant Sean Ross concludes it's off putting to many listeners. But when it works, it's magic. My favourite part of the piece:

"In 2023, hitting the post is a talisman of “old radio” again. At the recent Windsor, Ontario, tribute to CKLW MD Rosalie Trombley, one again heard the story of how former PD Bill Gable once talked the entire 1:55 intro to “Papa Was a Rolling Stone.”

I worked with Bill Gable at CFTR and he indeed was the master of the talkover. I'd love to hear him do 1:55 of a Temptations song. What an amazing talent.

By the way, if you read this story, make sure to check out the comments. There are some famous names weighing in, including Tom Langmyer, now a Buffalo Radio Hall of Fame legend.

Talking About Talking Over Music 

October 30, 2023 7:24 pm  #2

Re: Hitting The Post: Great Sounding Or Too Old Fashioned?

I still do it in the car when I'm driving.  Every song that plays, I pretend I'm on CHUM ...lol.  I love hitting posts and I wish I had more of a chance to have been on AM music radio to do it.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 30, 2023 7:47 pm  #3

I can see why younger generations who may not have grown up with a Top 40 format might not be into it. But when it's well done - I mean really, really well done and you hit every single post - it's incredible.

There's an artistry to it that's disappearing, sort of like splicing reel-to-reel tape. Making that impossible edit and doing it even though there's no way it should come out sounding right is magic. Even if the audience doesn't care or is unaware of it, those were some of my favourite times in radio just on a personal basis. 

I remember when I was at CFTR, the music cart labels were marked with total time of a song, but also the lengths between posts. So it might say 2:46 long, and then 2", 8" 15" to indicate where the posts were. Most jocks at 'TR never needed or used them, but they were there just in case. 

And yeah, in the rare instances when I listen to music in my car, I still do those intros, too!

October 30, 2023 8:54 pm  #4

Aw come on.  How many of us who have been jocks at one time in their lives practice hitting the post in the car when certain songs come on.

But what really blows my mind, and it has happened on more than one occasion, is when my phone gps makes an announcement and finishes just  at the right point to hit the post.  I kid you not. 

It's scary.  Makes me wonder if there is some AI going in the background and the phone's mic is always on.

Last edited by Peter the K (October 30, 2023 8:55 pm)

October 31, 2023 1:34 am  #5

Nobody, but nobody, could talk up a song like King George Michael of WFIL and WABC fame.

Check out his intro of "Saturday In the Park" at the 14:14 mark. Pure genius.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wabc-michael-jul19-77-s.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 31, 2023 7:23 am  #6

Last Friday evening I was listening to Robbie Lane on AM740 and he still hits the post like a pro. It may be considered old school but it still works for me!

October 31, 2023 9:57 am  #7

I know in a fast paced Top 40 format, it worked and was necessary . I find it annoying when FM jox do it, especially rock tunes. I recall explaining it  to my son when he was around 10, and we were listening to an old air check of mine, he said " I would rather just listen to a CD or Ipod and hear the whole song ". He is 30 now, and  that is likely why so many people today of his generation avoid radio and listen to their playlists. 

November 1, 2023 3:03 pm  #8

Sometimes when you have the radio on and the jock is talking over the intro of the song it's pretty obvious most of their attention is on the clock while they're figuring out what they need to say and if they have enough room before the post.

I was lucky I never had a board operator during my radio career and never liked talking over the music, but did it because I had to at the one thankfully short CHUM AM gig I had.

I loved the way we could get really creative on FM with mixing one song to the next. There was a real art to it and it added a lot to the show. Even the odd listener noticed and commented on a good mix and laughed not unkindly at the occasional botched experiments that didn't work out. And your fellow jocks would judge the skill of your mixes, also not unkindly (usually!).

Being able to play around with the energy and feel of all the tunes on your playlist for every show also kept the joy and fun of working in radio alive.

Straight mixes can be so so boring. And cutting off a song too early just to timeout is a crime.