sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2023 9:15 am  #1

Whatever Happened to CFRB's Much Vaunted Newsroom?

There have been a lot of posts here in the past lamenting the slow and sad decline of CFRB's once much-admired newsroom. And on Monday, I heard another example.

On their 9 AM newscast, Patricia Mohamed threw to a story about a walkout by Unifor members at Stellantis, the last remaining automaker that hadn't settled with the union. She then ran an overnight voicer from a Canadian Press reporter about the dispute. 

There's only one thing wrong with this - the two sides had reached an agreement at midnight and the very brief walkout was over. I heard this updated information on every other station. But CFRB was still reporting old news and seemed to have had not received the latest facts, despite access to countless newspaper and wire stories. 

How could they possibly have gotten this wrong some nine hours later? Does anyone there actually keep up with the news as it's developing? 1010 used to call itself "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice." I'm continually reminded as I listen to how this decimated newsroom's "Voice" is increasingly sounding hoarse. What a shame. 

October 30, 2023 10:03 am  #2

Re: Whatever Happened to CFRB's Much Vaunted Newsroom?

Update: they finally reported the settlement on their 10 AM newscast. 

October 30, 2023 10:28 am  #3

The 1010 Newsroom has been turned into an FM station studio. 

October 30, 2023 10:30 am  #4

I would prefer an audio pickup from CP24 for five
minutes each hour rather than CFRB’s own Mickey
Mouse newscast. It would be more reliable

October 30, 2023 10:31 am  #5

Yes, I believe I heard John Moore say in the past that the "newsroom" - the few who are left - are all based at CTV's Toronto HQ in Agincourt. They're not even in the same building anymore. 

November 29, 2023 10:33 pm  #6

1986: When CFRB still had an actual working newsroom. Pretty impressive line-up.